shovenose

Distinguished
i am the very proud (lol) owner of a crappy hp pavilion dv4 laptop.
the cooler was already noisy and the laptop ran hot right from the start...
now that the fan threw some blades, it vibrates more than i imagine a vibrator would...lol you get the idea!
i had this thought...
my thinkpad x31 has a pentium m cpu with a 20-somthing (ithink 23 or 29) watt tdp...it has a silent cooler even when the fan goes on, which is rarely, even after 10 mins prime95..
this laptop has a 35watt tdp core 2 duo t5800 2ghz cpu...
it runs hot even when im doing things like web browsing...and eve nthough i turned off the FAN ALWAYS ON option in the bios the fan kicks in with a loud noise every few minutes for a while, then turns off, and then, presto, a few minutes later, it turns on again. so, by now, this bashed up laptop is missing part of the vent cover over the fan, so i stick an old lego piece in there to jam the fan...it then gets a little warm but not really hot...im wondering if theres something like a durable flexible hestpipe so i can put a huge heatsink covering the back of the lid/screen clamshell part and run a durable/flexible heatpipe thing to the cpu heatsink/fan area, so i could rip that damn fan OUT!!! ( and save battery life LOL JUST KIDDING!)

so is this in anyway possible?

could i just take the fan out, and fill that area with a heatsink somehow? would that cool it enough.

once, after an hour of prime95 EVEN WITH FAN FUNCTIONING PROPERLY, it restarted due to overheating (lousy cooling design)

so, anyway, could i put a bigger heatsink in or something?
lol thanks i know this is far fetched but is it possible (w/o spending more than 50 bucks)

i also have some old little nb heatsinks i could maybe jam into the area with the fan, and i could drill some holes in the case (if not too reisky LMK if it is) to improve convective airflow or something.

i have tried a usb notebook cooleing pad. it helped, but sucked battery life like a beeeoch and was clunky and fat, and if im going with fat laptopness i may as well attach a huge heatink to the back of the screen

THANKS!!!

Solution
also i was doing some research for you and this computer is plagued with airway dust problems. make sure there is no dust clogging these airways vacuum them out if possible without damaging components.

http://www.laptopsarena.com/hp-laptop-pavilion-dv4-overheating/

has a picture of what your cooling system looks like, as well as a few ideas on how to fix it.

i have a dv8000 and it has some similar problems so this is interesting to me too.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can you find a replacement fan? Something balanced would surely be quieter.

If you replace the fan you could try adding a resistor to it so it would spin slower. And replace the TIM while you're at it.

Generally the cooling systems in laptops can not be replaced with aftermarket parts.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
more than likely you already have a small heatsink, if this is true I have heard that replacing the thermal paste on older laptops with some good aftermarket thermal paste helps considerably with temps. some people have reported drops of 10-20c (worst case scenario) the least I've heard it dropping is 2c. either way you get improvement. from what i can tell yours will probably be one that benefits more from the paste.

the only other thing i can say is that using new thermal paste will void the warranty but it doesn't look like you seem to care about that.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
also i was doing some research for you and this computer is plagued with airway dust problems. make sure there is no dust clogging these airways vacuum them out if possible without damaging components.

http://www.laptopsarena.com/hp-laptop-pavilion-dv4-overheating/

has a picture of what your cooling system looks like, as well as a few ideas on how to fix it.

i have a dv8000 and it has some similar problems so this is interesting to me too.

Solution

shovenose

Distinguished
well i have the thing in pieces next to me here. there was a huge wad of dust wedged next to what i assume is the intake fan, no wonder it gets so hot...also the little heatsink thingy was stufed up too... lets hope it orks when i put it n=back togethether...

shovenose

Distinguished
it works WONDERFULLY!!!THANK YOU SO MUCH...besides the fact that it makes a loud noise for about three seconds at strartup like it always has (i assume it just tests the fan) it doesnt turn the fan on anymore!!!!AMAZING!!! i am like soooooo supoer happy!
i used as5 and cleaned the fan out...
its still missing blades but who cares as long as it doesnt even turn on the fan!!! i lost a few screws so im missing one of three that holds the keyboard in but i dont even notice it happy happy happy!