How long before a MOD chip comes out for the Replay??

How long before a MOD chip comes out for the Replay?? You'd think somebody is
out there putting one together. I wonder how long it will take.
28 answers Last reply
More about long chip replay

    Boll Weevil wrote:
    > How long before a MOD chip comes out for the Replay?? You'd think somebody is
    > out there putting one together. I wonder how long it will take.

    What exactly would you "mod"? The software is encrypted and you're not
    going to break that. The rest is relatively open. That's where DVArchive
    and all the cool utilities come from.

    Who said it had to run VxWorks OS?

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:52:55 -0500, "NetBoot" <netboot@ptd.net> wrote:

    >Who said it had to run VxWorks OS?

    Dooooooood, you just spilt the beans!!! Hmmmm.. VxWorks, aye! That's what's on
    all these telecom devices.

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:52:55 -0500, "NetBoot" <netboot@ptd.net> wrote:

    >Who said it had to run VxWorks OS?

    If that's all it is.. then anyone should be able hook up a null-modem cable and
    hyperterm in to the config OS. Only problem is now is to find the admin/root
    password.

    I think the major road block is the people who are most knowlegable still have
    skin in the game of keeping RTV division of DNNA viable.
    (jobs, lifetime subscriptions etc)
    As soon as DNNA ditches the RTV, I expect the hacks to start flowing.
    From what Tony D and other have said, it appears tricking up this software will
    be trivial when the time comes.

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:16:04 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

    >Perhaps you would prefer a pricing model where there was no subscription
    >fee and you just pay $300 more when you purchase it initially. Why do
    >you think you're entitled to the service for free? If such a hack were
    >made available I'm sure that DNNA (and presumably TIVO if such were done
    >to them) would just revert to raising the price and dropping the sub.
    >Then you'd have to actually steal the unit from the store instead of
    >from the comfort of your home.

    You know what? I wouldn't care if it was $300 more than what ever I payed.
    Infact, I'll be plunking down the $300 for the subscription next week after I
    get my pay check... I work at McDonalds(hehehehe). If the unit was $400, I'd
    buy it and I'd still want to see if I can improve it like many other people who
    is interested in this technology.

    Call me a theif (which I don't think I am) or what ever you'd like. It's not
    gonna hurt my feelings. This "you're stealing" arguement is so nauseatingly
    over-used, I'm gonna puke. So, this is the last I'll want to discuss this
    matter before I get sick............plonk!! Rest of you..........back to the
    discussion, please.

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:16:23 -0600, Boll Weevil
    <washerdryer@maytag.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:52:55 -0500, "NetBoot" <netboot@ptd.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Who said it had to run VxWorks OS?
    >>

    >If that's all it is.. then anyone should be able hook up a null-modem cable and
    >hyperterm in to the config OS. Only problem is now is to find the admin/root
    >password.

    Net NetBoot.... throw me another bone, man!!! You gave me a kick
    start and now you scoot............. what's up with that!

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:47:20 -0500, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

    >What exactly would you "mod"? The software is encrypted and you're not
    >going to break that. The rest is relatively open. That's where DVArchive
    >and all the cool utilities come from.

    Never say never cause someone will and some eventually does..... if it's not
    me.

    washerdryer@maytag.com shaped the electrons to say:
    >How long before a MOD chip comes out for the Replay?? You'd think somebody is
    >out there putting one together. I wonder how long it will take.

    Well, most of the DVR hackers are hacking TiVos since they're Linux
    based and fairly easy to mod.

    Or they're working on projects like MythTV or FreeVo.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:39:48 -0500, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Like Megazone said it makes no difference because, trust me, you are not
    >going decrypt or be able to change the existing software in any way.

    Who the hell cares what megadope says. He's an idiot.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Except the integrated units, which don't even have A/D converters.

    True, the DirecTiVo units are limited to only working with DTV.
    They're their own family.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Boll Weevil <dryer@maytag.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Who the hell cares what megadope says. He's an idiot.

    What an effective way to make your point. :-)

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:50:07 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    (MegaZone) wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>Except the integrated units, which don't even have A/D converters.
    >
    >True, the DirecTiVo units are limited to only working with DTV.
    >They're their own family.
    >
    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    The dedicated unit I knew most about was a (Microsoft) Ultimate TV.
    This is a DVR integrated with a DirecTV receiver, and will work with
    no other input. The unit physically has input jacks, but these are
    completely nonfunctional (maybe they're trying to mislead potential
    buyers).

    Also, upgrading the hard drive was more difficult than with the Replay
    (it uses password "protection" on the drives).

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:51:04 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone)
    wrote:

    >Boll Weevil <dryer@maytag.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>Who the hell cares what megadope says. He's an idiot.
    >
    >What an effective way to make your point. :-)
    >
    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    Dude, in Usenet I refuse to get into discussions with people who won't admit to
    the obvious. We've all been there, done that, and I don't want to do it again.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>I might add, I do on occasion refer to my 4 ReplayTVs as "TIVOs",
    >>when talking to people who don't know what they are. Seems
    >>more people are familiar with TIVO and understand that term better.
    >>
    >I wouldn't perpetuate the error. I say it's a DVR, and then mention
    >"TiVo" only if necessary, making it clear that it's NOT the name of
    >it.

    Its like when I need a nose tissue, I ask for a "kleenex".
    So, I'll say, make sure you "TIVO" that show on Sunday.

    It's understood to mean, "digitally record that show".
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:35:50 -0500, NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:

    >>>I might add, I do on occasion refer to my 4 ReplayTVs as "TIVOs",
    >>>when talking to people who don't know what they are. Seems
    >>>more people are familiar with TIVO and understand that term better.
    >>>
    >>I wouldn't perpetuate the error. I say it's a DVR, and then mention
    >>"TiVo" only if necessary, making it clear that it's NOT the name of
    >>it.
    >
    >Its like when I need a nose tissue, I ask for a "kleenex".
    >So, I'll say, make sure you "TIVO" that show on Sunday.
    >
    >It's understood to mean, "digitally record that show".

    Hmmm.... I've never heard of "Tivo". You mind clueing me in?
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:35:50 -0500, NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:

    >>>I might add, I do on occasion refer to my 4 ReplayTVs as "TIVOs",
    >>>when talking to people who don't know what they are. Seems
    >>>more people are familiar with TIVO and understand that term better.
    >>>
    >>I wouldn't perpetuate the error. I say it's a DVR, and then mention
    >>"TiVo" only if necessary, making it clear that it's NOT the name of
    >>it.
    >
    >Its like when I need a nose tissue, I ask for a "kleenex".

    I ask for a nose tissue.

    >So, I'll say, make sure you "TIVO" that show on Sunday.

    And I wouldn't. If this was a personal request, I might mention the
    correct term.

    >It's understood to mean, "digitally record that show".

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>Its like when I need a nose tissue, I ask for a "kleenex".
    >I ask for a nose tissue.

    Perhaps 'facial tissue'? ;-)

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    No, I mean "nose tissue", as in "blow my nose".
    I need a kleenex to blow my "nose".

    Would you "TIVO" that, while I blow my nose with a "kleenex".

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>>Its like when I need a nose tissue, I ask for a "kleenex".
    >>I ask for a nose tissue.
    >
    >Perhaps 'facial tissue'? ;-)
    >
    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 02:17:32 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
    (MegaZone) wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>>Its like when I need a nose tissue, I ask for a "kleenex".
    >>I ask for a nose tissue.
    >
    >Perhaps 'facial tissue'? ;-)

    Sounds better.

    >-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 04:23:02 -0500, NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com wrote:

    >No, I mean "nose tissue", as in "blow my nose".
    >I need a kleenex to blow my "nose".
    >
    >Would you "TIVO" that, while I blow my nose with a "kleenex".

    No. I don't have any TiVo units, and don't expect to get any. You can
    blow your nose with whatever you want.

    >>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>>I ask for a nose tissue.
    >>
    >>Perhaps 'facial tissue'? ;-)
    >>
    >>-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com shaped the electrons to say:
    >No, I mean "nose tissue", as in "blow my nose".

    Well, I was joking, since the standard non-branded name for the
    product is 'facial tissue' - as in 'Kleenex brand facial tissue', and
    toilet paper is 'bathroom tissue'. I'd never heard of 'nose tissue'
    before... makes me wonder what you'd call toilet paper. ;-)

    >Would you "TIVO" that, while I blow my nose with a "kleenex".

    Yeah, I just say Kleenex too - of course, I also *buy* Kleenex brand
    myself, so it is appropriate in any case. :-) And I also own a few
    TiVos...

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:45:36 -0600, Boll Weevil <washerdryer@maytag.com>
    spewed:
    >>fee and you just pay $300 more when you purchase it initially. Why do
    >>you think you're entitled to the service for free? If such a hack were
    >>made available I'm sure that DNNA (and presumably TIVO if such were done
    >>to them) would just revert to raising the price and dropping the sub.
    >>Then you'd have to actually steal the unit from the store instead of
    >>from the comfort of your home.
    >>

    >You know what? I wouldn't care if it was $300 more than what ever I payed.
    >Infact, I'll be plunking down the $300 for the subscription next week after I
    >get my pay check... I work at McDonalds(hehehehe). If the unit was $400, I'd
    >buy it and I'd still want to see if I can improve it like many other people who
    >is interested in this technology.
    >
    >Call me a theif (which I don't think I am) or what ever you'd like. It's not
    >gonna hurt my feelings. This "you're stealing" arguement is so nauseatingly
    >over-used, I'm gonna puke. So, this is the last I'll want to discuss this
    >matter before I get sick............plonk!! Rest of you..........back to the
    >discussion, please.

    AMEN!!
    The "stealing" BS is totally flawed even for what it's usually used for,
    music. It'd only be "stealing" if people were actually costing co's
    money. If they wouldn't buy it if they had to pay for it, then no loss.
    Most who really like a particular selection do pay for it because the
    quality is better. Plus, not one of them can site any drop in revenue, in
    fact it's increasing! So, it just boils down to unbridled greed and legal
    evil.

    As to the on topic discussion, if there's no competition and nobody else
    tries to improve it, guess what - no improvements.
    We're damn lucky there's even TiVo and ReplayTV to compete.
    Sooner or later one will probably buy the other and we'll be in Windows
    style hell with PVR's too... UNLESS somebody makes one that is as good as
    RTV and doesn't force subscription.
    I don't know why nobody sees the massive opportunity for profit on that
    and doesn't make one :(
    You gotta figure there's big time legal bullying going on with that.

    For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    Yeah, it's really a real address :)
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Real damn simple, because we don't WANT service!! At least I don't.
    > I just want the damn thing to record like a VCR. I've already got THREE
    > stupid guides and I sure don't need another. I'm also not a total moron
    > and can program the thing without cute little "point and click".

    You are really clueless. The guide is much more than a method of
    programming.

    > I know what I want, and I don't need it guessing for me either.

    Replays do not "guess" for you, that's Tivo.

    > There are people who do want that, so that's fine, but those that don't
    > shouldn't be FORCED to pay for something they don't want or need.

    They're not. You don't have to buy one. You could always buy a hard disk
    recorder meant for security systems.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Actually,,, I think the original Replays were sold complete with
    subscription for over $300.00, And I think I've seen a competitor's
    product, no subscription needed, for 299.95 in the stores.

    In short. Folks are selling them, or something very much like them,
    exactly as you suggest... I paid the 300 for 2 of mine, monthly for the
    3rd since I don't know if it's going to make the transistion to mobile
    service

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:47:58 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Actually,,, I think the original Replays were sold complete with
    >subscription for over $300.00, And I think I've seen a competitor's
    >product, no subscription needed, for 299.95 in the stores.

    I got one of the first 2020 Replays, it was substituted for the
    10-hour model I ordered, for $699.95.

    >In short. Folks are selling them, or something very much like them,
    >exactly as you suggest... I paid the 300 for 2 of mine, monthly for the
    >3rd since I don't know if it's going to make the transistion to mobile
    >service
    >
    >see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:45:36 -0600, Boll Weevil <washerdryer@maytag.com>
    >> spewed:

    >>>You know what? I wouldn't care if it was $300 more than what ever I payed.
    >>>Infact, I'll be plunking down the $300 for the subscription next week after I
    >>>get my pay check... I work at McDonalds(hehehehe). If the unit was $400, I'd
    >>>buy it and I'd still want to see if I can improve it like many other people who
    >>>is interested in this technology.
    >>>
    >>>Call me a theif (which I don't think I am) or what ever you'd like. It's not
    >>>gonna hurt my feelings. This "you're stealing" arguement is so nauseatingly
    >>>over-used, I'm gonna puke. So, this is the last I'll want to discuss this
    >>>matter before I get sick............plonk!! Rest of you..........back to the
    >>>discussion, please.
    >>

    >> AMEN!!
    >> The "stealing" BS is totally flawed even for what it's usually used for,
    >> music. It'd only be "stealing" if people were actually costing co's
    >> money. If they wouldn't buy it if they had to pay for it, then no loss.
    >> Most who really like a particular selection do pay for it because the
    >> quality is better. Plus, not one of them can site any drop in revenue, in
    >> fact it's increasing! So, it just boils down to unbridled greed and legal
    >> evil.
    >>
    >> As to the on topic discussion, if there's no competition and nobody else
    >> tries to improve it, guess what - no improvements.
    >> We're damn lucky there's even TiVo and ReplayTV to compete.
    >> Sooner or later one will probably buy the other and we'll be in Windows
    >> style hell with PVR's too... UNLESS somebody makes one that is as good as
    >> RTV and doesn't force subscription.
    >> I don't know why nobody sees the massive opportunity for profit on that
    >> and doesn't make one :(
    >> You gotta figure there's big time legal bullying going on with that.
    >>
    >> --
    >> For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    >> Yeah, it's really a real address :)
    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  27. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote in

    > Real damn simple, because we don't WANT service!! At least I don't.
    > I just want the damn thing to record like a VCR. I've already got
    > THREE stupid guides and I sure don't need another.

    So, for $340 (give or take), buy a 5540 and program it like a VCR, if
    that's what you prefer.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:10:03 GMT, Patrick <pjsauter@_gmail.com> wrote:

    >see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote in
    >

    >> Real damn simple, because we don't WANT service!! At least I don't.
    >> I just want the damn thing to record like a VCR. I've already got
    >> THREE stupid guides and I sure don't need another.
    >
    >So, for $340 (give or take), buy a 5540 and program it like a VCR, if
    >that's what you prefer.

    It looks like they're finally selling a 400-hour model.

ReplayTV Chip Video Home Theatre