MesoSilver for Liquid Cooled Antimicrobial

bltjudge

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I have been doing research for my first water cooled rig for several months and have since decided on silver kill coils.

A recent discovery of a product called MesoSilver (Colloidal Silver) has brought the question of if this product could be used successfully in a water cooled rig.

http://www.amazon.com/MesoSilver-Colloidal-Silver-250-8-45/dp/B000ZK1NVK

Has anyone ever heard of this being used? If so what kind of results did it yield?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
that Is about .20% silver total in the bottle and that is not that much silver, you may need a couple of ounces per gallon to do any good.
I am using HTH super extended algae guard it is not as cheap but it has 27% copper in the bottle and has been used for years in fields for killing fungus. Now it has been adapted for pools I only use 3 drops every couple of months for growth control

I think that I can offer some unique personal scientific experience to your question. I used to work for a contract microbiology laboratory and I did a large study for a client who was marketing colloidal silver for use in dental offices to sanitize water lines.

I was surprised how effective it was against bacteria. If I remember correctly (it was 10+ years ago), at 50 ppm and above it was able to meet the acceptance criteria for a disinfectant, either 3-log (99.9%) or 6-log (99.9999%) reduction depending on the disinfectant claim they were going for. 50 ppm translates to 0.005% silver.

I would expect a 0.20% solution to be very good at keeping bacteria out of your loop. I don't know how effective colloidal silver is against algae though.

Hope this helps.

bltjudge

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Added some links so anyone looking at this can see what I saw.

The HTH sounds like a good solution. Found your response and conversation in another forum (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276368-29-algae) that seemed to have some good things going for it.

As for the water wetter does not seem you need to be using this in a loop. Saw many people debating the point that the WW is meant for +boiling temps which this system should never see. Also some drawbacks of turning clear tubing pink with little to no difference from water with and without it. (http://www.overclockers.com/coolant-fluid-roundup)

So you have never had to clean up your system while using the HTH? Have to say that is pretty amazing. Thanks for the advice.

bltjudge

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Thanks for the information, nice to know it can actually do what is advertised.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Well I use the water wetter for a PH balancer for my loop because I have aluminum top blocks that would cause corrosion in the loop. One day when I do not have this issue I may not use it anymore many people use distilled water with no issues with minimal growth control.

I use plain distilled, four coils at strategic intervals and Two UV cathodes ,(my loop is about 6L of liquid)
recent research seems to indicate that silver coils can cause some clouding on clear tubes but its an aesthetic issue, no real problems to the cooling potential of a loop
Moto