Sign in with
Your question

Compter won't boot - Continually restarting.

Last response: in Motherboards
August 6, 2010 6:07:14 PM

I purchased a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR (rev. 1.1) motherboard two weeks ago and installed it myself. It worked without problems until yesterday, when the issue (the topic of this email) arose. All the rest of my components are found listed at the bottom of this post.

When i press the power button, the CPU and Case fans spin, but there is no display. After approximately 30 seconds, the computer powers down, the fans stop. The fans then start again, continue for another 30 seconds, and then stop: this process continues until i turn off the power switch. I don't have a case speaker so I couldn't tell you if there are a particular number of beeps on startup. During this process the 4 phase lights on the motherboard are lit from power on till automatic shutdown, with these colors - 1. Green, 2. Green, 3. Orange, 4. Red. At no point do the keyboard lights flash(numlock, capslock, scroll lock lights), nor does the mouse light up.

Trouble shooting Steps I have taken:

1. Assembled board outside the case on an insulated surface (cardboard), ensuring that there is no issues with shorting.

2. Unplugged optical drives and graphics card, and tried booting with just one stick of ram, CPU and Motherboard; same problem.

3. Tried booting with just CPU and Motherboard - same problem.

4. EDIT - Reset CMOS battery

5. EDIT - Tried new PSU.

6. EDIT - Tried spare graphics card, and also tried using an AGP adaptor and different cable.

Any advice? Which steps do i take next? The Motherboard manual only says that the motherboard phase lights indicate CPU load. The PSU is 600W Zalman, a brand which in my experience has been reliable. it's also less then a month old and has shown no problems up until now. The BIOS version is the original that came installed on the board, but i don't know it as i can't reach post. When the computer was running, Coretemp software stated that the CPU was running at 30ish degrees, 45 under full load and stress testing, so i don't think it's a problem regarding heat issues.

Kind regards,

Rmc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-EP45-UD3LR(rev. 1.1)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.1
BIOS Ver : Unknown
Serial No. : SN1009460034112
Purchase Dealer : Overclockers.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : Geforce 8800GTX
CPU Brand : Intel Model : Q6600 Speed : 2.4Ghz
Operation System : Win XP SP : 3
Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDRII
Memory Size : 2Ghz Speed : 1066mhz
Power Supply : ZalmaN 600w W
August 6, 2010 8:17:29 PM

Sorry i forgot to say - thanks for the advice regarding CMOS but i've already tried that; removed the battery for 5 minutes. I made no changes to the BIOS, it was whatever arrived on the board when i bought it (it was bought new so factory BIOS). I'm borrowing a PSU from a friend tomorrow to test if that is the issue (although is it often heard of a perfectly working PSU, less than a month old just dying overnight?)
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 6, 2010 8:27:43 PM

Most "parts" break within ~1 month (day1 to ~ 30days). In forums you begin to see it "all." Since I am assuming you cannot get into BIOS read bilbat's {search 'Boot Loops' ). http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275856-30-gigabyte-gu...

However, IF you "can" try loading "Fail Safe".
August 6, 2010 8:50:07 PM

Just tried a brand new PSU - The same problem occurs. We can rule out any possible PSU issues.
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 6, 2010 8:57:22 PM

Easy ~ To R/O your DDR make a Memtest86+ disk (use the ISO zip) - http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.is...

From - http://www.memtest.org/ - Just in case use the ISO to create a bootable disk, in most cases it's dirt simple: unzip, double-click, place a blank CD/DVD in drive, and burn.

"Try" to Boot off the DVD drive ~ may require BIOS Boot Priority change.

"Can" you test the GPU in another PC?

All of this is to narrow down, and probably confirm a bad MOBO...
August 6, 2010 9:52:41 PM

I can't get into the BIOS - The display remains blank until the PC restarts. I don't think i can get to the stage to even try Memtest - the computer restarts after 30 seconds. I've tried booting without any RAM (incase both sticks had failed at the same time, which would really be terrible luck), just to see if the computer would stay on without restarting, or if at the very least the keyboard might flash or mouse light up. Unfortunately neither...

Just tried a spare graphics card on the motherboard. I also tried using a DVI to AGP converter which allowed me to try the display with an AGP cable (Sounds very bizzare but i once had an ASUS striker that wouldn't boot (the fans wouldn't even spin) unless i used the converter... another odd situation).

On a slight tangent, but nevertheless relevant point - I've had this build for approximately 2-3 years now, and it seems to gobble up components and spit them out broken like there's no tomorrow. This is now my third motherboard that has crapped out (if that is the case - yet to confirm.) Is there any chance that another component, one which is still appearing to operate without problem, is causing the motherboards to fail? Might a graphics card or CPU be responsible for breaking boards without itself manifesting problems? I haven't even OC'd this CPU...

Thanks for your prompt and helpful suggestions.
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 6, 2010 10:14:50 PM

Memtest - can't hurt to try and maybe its a waste.

Reading your "luck" ~ what can burn up a machine is a bad PSU; I built 2 identical rigs (except GPUs) and both GPU burnt out (pooped transistors), 1 burnt out the UPS, and in both cases replacing the PSU 100% fixed the problem. PLUS replacing the BAD components.

Multi-Rail PSU can confuse the hell out of anyone especially if ONE rail is dead or shorting; yours (seems) to have 2 rails. BUT once the DAMAGE is done to the other components you end up having the same problems...TRYING another PSU.

In general, testing for BAD components is BEST done testing them on another rig; damaged components are a ^E$(@#$ to trace down otherwise.
August 6, 2010 10:17:33 PM

i just went threw this. if you have any thump drives or any other usb thigns besides your keyboard and mouse remove them.
August 6, 2010 11:13:03 PM

Unfortunately nothing but mouse and keyboard - thanks though.
August 6, 2010 11:42:29 PM

Wow, just realised the miss-type in the topic. Just a tad embarrassing for a first post...
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 6, 2010 11:44:50 PM

you can always edit ~ bottom right (3rd button to left) ~ icon(white + lightning).
August 6, 2010 11:53:16 PM

I can only quick edit and adjust the content inside the message (the middle icon). The icon to the left of that results in 'You are not allowed to edit this message' appearing. I'm assuming as a new member i don't yet have those privileges.
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 9, 2010 5:16:31 PM

Since I assume that you are stuck at non-posting:

R/O:
PSU = OK
GPU = OK
DDR2 = (?)
CPU = (OK) - worked before ~ can lead to no-post.
MOBO = (?)

Doesn't leave much, and my "observations" have been that the GA-XXXX-UD3X MOBO's are frequent visitors here. My suggestion is to RMA the MOBO.
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 9, 2010 8:05:40 PM

Several issues have not yet been discussed:

1 - You desperately need a case speaker - get one! It will give you some of the only diagnostic info you'll get at this point...

2 - Read the second half of the GB 'sticky' - under the Troubleshooting: topic - it may nudge you into thinking of a possible problem, or testing procedure...

3 - try the exact reset procedure detailed in the ...to break a 'boot-loop' section - each step is imoprtant - this has fixed numerous people's problems!

3 - I had a high opinion of Zalman, too, until my 750 took a dump, long after it could be blamed on infant mortality - and it didn't help that it took them thirty-one days to do a pre-paid cross-ship! The section at the end of the last topic, Power Supply - Basic, regarding failure of PWR_OK, was that supply: rails all good, just no signal saying they were good! I don't think that is your problem, as the reboots should come quicker together, but can't hurt to check!

Once you have a speaker, post back for procedure - what we want to do is alter a number of things, to discover whether they change the beep code situation - will let us diagnose a few-subsystems, and cross 'em off the list...

Quote:
I've had this build for approximately 2-3 years now, and it seems to gobble up components and spit them out broken like there's no tomorrow. This is now my third motherboard that has crapped out (if that is the case - yet to confirm.) Is there any chance that another component, one which is still appearing to operate without problem, is causing the motherboards to fail? Might a graphics card or CPU be responsible for breaking boards without itself manifesting problems?

This is a possibility - however, we have to get it booting in order to deploy a few diagnostic tools to look at some of the possibilities - and, unfortunately, a couple take a scope:

to see...

I can think of one possibility for repetitive damage, and it leads to a two-fold question: do you have it plugged into a decent surge suppressor, and is there, possibly, a motor load somewhere on the same household power circuit? Refrigerators' compressor motors are the common culprit, but a fan will do it - I've even seen a problem with the solenoid valves on a refrigerator's front water/ice dispenser throwing a sizeable line spike!
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 9, 2010 10:05:26 PM

If OP had a bad PSU w/shorted rail ~ "who" knows what damage could have been done? Anyone knowing me ~ I will try to beat the Dead Horse - to a point.

Trying a NEW PSU w/1stick AND remove ALL non-essential components AND Post Failure is of little mystery? Add the GA-XXXX-UD3X in the mix...
!