Is a $400 Revo drive really much faster than a normal SATA 6G drive?

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227745
OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227659
OCZ RevoDrive X2 OCZSSDPX-1RVDX0100 PCI-E 100GB PCI-Express x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

is it much faster real world performance vs say a 120GB Vertex3 or Vertex3 MAX I/OPS ?

Is there much installation pain or hassle or special configuration on a LGA1155 Asus ?

I have been using the RevoDrive for a about a year now and it is faster than a regular SSD and I am looking forward to getting a Revo 3 X2. There are two types of the RevoDrive if you notice , there are the Revo 2 or 3 and then there are the Revo 2 or 3 X2. With the X2 model having a second pcb attached because the X2 model comes with 4 sandforce controllers and the regular Revo comes with 2. If you compare the RevoDrive 3 with the RevoDrive 3 X2 you will see a read/write difference of about 500mb/s read and 325mb/s write and a $125 price difference.
The RevoDrive takes getting used to and the first time you install it you have to load the drivers of the drive and when you boot each time it has to show the raid configuration of the Revo just like if you had a regular raid. The RevoDrive is a raid confiuration of four SSD's with Sandforce controllers. There is no difference once you load windows as it works just like a regular hdd. If something were to happen in windows like a blue screen or some other problem it may affect the driver of the Revo and you would have to reload it. You may not notice the performance increase if you have been using a SSD. They now make a maximum IOPs version of the RevoDrive but it is not higher than the RevoDrive 3 X2 .
If the choice is between the Revo 3 120gb and the Revo x2 120gb then I would go with the Revo 3.

daship

Distinguished
Revo is just a presetup raid 0, your better off buying 2-4 SSD drives and running them in raid, atleast then if one dies you dont loose all of them like you would with a revo.

Revo is market hype.

Windows Trim does not support raid so either raid setup will degrade over time.

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

I think the OCZ controller and TRIM has a clean up feature... for the REVO.

I also think the interface on the PCIe 2.0 is faster than a SATA interface... overall.

Yes?