MSI Afterburner and rotation of case fans...

Oinkusboinkus

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hello all.

I recently Crossfired (2) AT HD 5870's, and I installed MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and fan speeds.

On my HAF X case, I have two intake case fans, (bottom front and side), and three outtake case fans(top rear and top).

Since about three days ago, the day I changed settings and allowed MSI to take over and control the GPU fans, a weird thing possibly happened.

It appears like my two intake case fans are now blowing air OUTWARD, as if they have changed rotation! I can tell because there is no dust building up on the outer filters of both fans(which happens fairly quickly, pretty easy to see), as it usually will when fans are drawing air into a case.

Is it at ALL possible that installing Afterburner could have caused this? If so, how? I haven't taken out either of those case fans recently, so it's not a case of putting them in backwards. I always am careful to check the directional arrow and lable when putting fans back in.

If not Afterburner, what on earth could cause fan rotation to reverse? Power isuse? Windows setting? PSU problem?

???????? My head is abounding with conspiracy theories lol. :pt1cable:

Solution
Afterburner shouldn't have any control over your case fans.

It can however, control your GPU fans. Those two cards move air and, depending on how they do it, could change the pressure properties of your case air flow.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Afterburner shouldn't have any control over your case fans.

It can however, control your GPU fans. Those two cards move air and, depending on how they do it, could change the pressure properties of your case air flow.

Solution

Oinkusboinkus

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

Thanks so much, that's pretty much it then. No way it can control anything but the GPU fans. Maybe I'm just imagining this, I'll check again in a couple days and see if dust starts to build up. It's hard to tell the rotation by putting your hand over them. With all my case fans, when you try feel the air flow with your hand, the outtake and intake both feel the same, I can't feel any difference. You can't definitively feel if the air is blowing against your hand or not.

Thanks again.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Take something very thin and lightweight (like a tissue) and slowly bring it towards the fan. If it gets pulled flat against the case, then it is pulling air into the case. If it gets blown away, then that case fan is blowing air out of the case.