UPS drains out instantly on power outage

angela_s

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hi Everyone :)

I have a UPS that was working perfectly fine and was giving a backup power of approx. 20 minutes during power outages. But recently, during a power, outage, I tried to switch on my computer (that was completely switched off) while it was drawing all the power from UPS. The UPS was drained instantly and I couldn't start my computer. Ever since that day, whenever there is a power outage my UPS drains out instantly and begins giving that rapid beeping sound and its backup capacity has fallen to zero. The battery is new so I am wondering what could be the problem. Is my battery dead? Is it possible that if too much load is put on the UPS the battery dies instantly?

Thanks.

Solution
If you have a voltmeter. They are Cheap, about $15 at walmart, can also find at Auto parts stores and they are very easy to use. I would recommend pulling the batteries out and do a voltage check. You will need to seperate the two batteries (Normally a pair of 6 volt batteries). I'm quessing you will find one that is very low ( has some cells shorted). This is what happended to mine.
If you have a voltmeter. They are Cheap, about $15 at walmart, can also find at Auto parts stores and they are very easy to use. I would recommend pulling the batteries out and do a voltage check. You will need to seperate the two batteries (Normally a pair of 6 volt batteries). I'm quessing you will find one that is very low ( has some cells shorted). This is what happended to mine.

Solution

angela_s

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

Thanks. :)

^ There is also the possibility that the 12V DC to 120 VAC inverter is dead. Best way to verify this (1) verify that the batteries are not dead, ie charge them externally (can use a auto 12 V charger) then retest. A newly charge 12 Volt battery should read from 12.6 -> 13.6 VDC.