$1000AUD gaming pc (need build suggestions)

jake4syth

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2-3 weeks but im tempted to wait untill Nvidia release there new Graphics cards so prices go down
BUDGET RANGE: 800-1000 (if i need to spend a little more for a pc that will be alot better i am happy to do so.)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing the net, movies, musiic.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, screen, HDD (1gb western digital 7200rpm 32mb)could buy another for raid 0
DVD Drive.

PARTS PREFERENCES: i would prefer Intel and Nvidia as they are what i know but if i can get a better GPR/CPU for a cheaper price im not fussed.

OVERCLOCKING: maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Depending on what Graphic card's

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: im sorry i dont know much about some components but im always learning, could someone please suggest the best build they can for this price, i will buy parts separately and assemble with my uncle.

I'm in the US, so I don't know exact prices, but here's what you should be looking for.

CPU: i5-750 This is the best gaming CPU out right now, and a lot cheaper than the i7s, allowing you to spend more for the GPU.

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro A slightly expensive board, but has USB 3 and SATA 6 GBps ports, making it more future proof.

RAM: Any cheap 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 (timings 7-7-7-x).

PSU: 650W if you don't plan on Crossfiring (adding a second GPU), 750W if you do. Stick to the major brands (Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, OCZ).

Case: HAF 922. This is a large case, and one of the best. If it's really expensive over there, the Antec 900 is a good one as well.

GPU: Radeon HD 5850. Don't even consider anything less than this. If you've still got the budget, up it to an HD 5870. The HD 5970 would be the best, but is out of your budget at over twice the price.

Optical: Get the cheapest SATA DVD burner you can find.

Those look about right.

Some things you can do to lower the cost:

You don't need to have 8 GB of RAM for gaming. 4 GB will be good enough.

I'm assuming the 200 AUD is for the Corsair. Corsair is the highest quality, but can be quite pricey. Antec and OCZ are also good quality, and usually significantly less (like $30-50 US cheaper).

The case is an expensive case as well, so you might want to check out the Antec 900.

The GPU is expensive, but it's one of the best. I would leave the 5850 in the build unless you absolutely can't afford it. In that case, the 5770 is still an excellent card.

jake4syth

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
if i downgrade the case slightly as the Antec 900. is still around 150 AUD

i might be able to afford it if i assemble myself. and hunt for cheap components.

does a OC 260GTX run in the same leauge as a 5850?

If you don't save anything on the case, stick with the HAF.

I highly recommend building it yourself. It's easy and very informative.

Not really. The 5850 is a new DirectX 11 card that is easily one of the best avialable. A close comparison is the GTX 260 and the HD 5770.

jake4syth

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
thank you very much for your help also, when will nvidia be relising there new line of cards?

im going to start ordering parts next week and every week get a new part,
leaving the graphics card till last, what will be the best card for its price.
cause if a 5870 will be a much better card for a little more dollers then i will save a little bit longer and run the system on my 9800gt for a while

or would it be worth going to the Xtream of a 5970 for $785AUD

also half tempted to run off a 9800gt untill nvidia brings out there new line, if they are going to be more powerfull then the 5800-5900's

Supposedly, the new cards will have limited availability in mid-March. If it's anything like ATI's latest release, it will be a long time before you can get your hands on the higher end cards. The 5970 has been out for a while, and it's still out of stock all of the time.

The 5970 is the best card out right now. It's overkill for almost every game out. It will continue to be an excellent card for a long time though.

On the power of the Fermis, no one really knows if they'll be better than the 5xxx series. Right now, the only indication is that they will be a lot hotter, thus not as good for overclocking or in a dual card setup. In fact, they're so hot, nVidia is teaming up to make special cases for them. I would say that this is an indication that they aren't as powerful, mainly because they probably had to be factory overclocked to compete.

If you already have a decent card, I would consider waiting to see what happens. Just be ready for the possibility of Fermi being worse than the 5xxx.

jake4syth

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
ok well looks like my plans going to be the i5 system with 9800gt and then i might purchase another 9800gt just so i have a more powerfull graphics card then my friends. and save up and see how good the Fermis Range is but if not hopefully the 5970 has gone down in price and never know i might upgrade my PSU and go for duel 5970's around june july.

thank you very much you have been a great help

just another genral question, if i was to buy a smaller part eg RAM PSU or maybe even a case from america or somwhere cheaper then aus and get it shipped over do you know if it i will save me any money?

I wouldn't waste the money on the second 9800gt just to be faster than your friends. Just manage with what you have and buy the best card later.

I also wouldn't plan on Crossfiring 5970s for a long, long time. It's completely unnecessary. The 5970 will still be a great card in 4 years, assuming a new DirectX isn't mainstream by then.

I have no idea. I would check shipping rates. Keep in mind that many places simply won't ship overseas, so you'll have to have another system to get it from the retailer to you. Also, keep in mind the exchange rates.