Sign in with
Your question

Rom Utility not working or HDs Dead

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2012 2:45:53 AM

Okay so something weird just happened. I was playing a pc game and my computer locked up, so i reset the PC after that when going to the boot screen when it says scanning drives .... it stuck there and after it doesnt find any raid array i before had a raid 0 with 2 drives and a single drive separate. So i checked bios and made sure i had it set to raid and it was. I also checked my connections but i still have the same problem. Im using raid option rom utility... Also another note when going into the raid utility i cant view drive assignments or LD View/ LD define Menu or Delete... I can only look at the last option. With this I think it may be a corrupt raid utility... The question is what I can do at this point because i highly doubt 3 harddrives went dead at one time.

Update: Im seeing a weird problem with the SATA connectors on my motherboard (asus M5A99x) basically i have 8 connectors i took off all sata connections besides the two harddrives which are in the array. They are seen when using the E-Sata connections (2 supplied on motherboard) but that configuration wont work with my existing raid the harddrives are detected but not the array. Im trying different sata ports until i can find one that will work on both harddrives.

My motherboard has 8 connectors 6 SATA 6b and the 2 Jmicron controllers... its weird that this would happen just from rebooting after ive been using the same config for 3 months.
January 1, 2012 3:33:35 AM

daones said:
Okay so something weird just happened. I was playing a pc game and my computer locked up, so i reset the PC after that when going to the boot screen when it says scanning drives .... it stuck there and after it doesnt find any raid array i before had a raid 0 with 2 drives and a single drive separate. So i checked bios and made sure i had it set to raid and it was. I also checked my connections but i still have the same problem. Im using raid option rom utility... Also another note when going into the raid utility i cant view drive assignments or LD View/ LD define Menu or Delete... I can only look at the last option. With this I think it may be a corrupt raid utility... The question is what I can do at this point because i highly doubt 3 harddrives went dead at one time.

Just an update I managed to see all the harddrives in the bios now i replaced the power cable running to them and their showing up. Only thing is im still now stuck at scanning drives.
January 1, 2012 5:16:33 AM

Okay yet another update... in bios when all 3 HDs are connected (2 are raid array) one single if I change bios settings to IDE they all show up. But when changing to raid in the bios like my old setting none will show up. So i have no idea how to get this working as it was earlier.
Related resources
February 4, 2012 11:37:21 PM

I am having a similar problem except I cannot seem to access BIOS to turn off RAID mode. Like the OP, I have two drives in a RAID 0 array and a third drive (mine is a SSD) where the OS is installed. My system also hung while playing a game. upon reboot, I got stuck on the mobo splash screen. The "boot device" led on my mobo is red at this time. reading other threads led me to clear the CMOS and boot with no usb devices plugged in. Now the system POSTs but gets stuck on the RAID rom screen while "scanning drives". The boot device led is still red. I checked SATA cables and connections, they seem to be fine. I checked power cable connections and they also seem to be fine. I cannot access the BIOS settings.

mobo: Sabertooth 990FX
SSD: vertex 3 2.5 in SSD by Oz Technologies
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320gb x2
CPU: AMD FX -8150 Eight-Core
February 5, 2012 5:05:10 AM

I can now access the BIOS by booting with all the drives disconnected. I changed the SATA mode to AHCI, reconnected my drives and rebooted. None of the drives were recognized. I then changed the SATA mode to IDE and rebooted. This time the computer hung on the mobo splash screen. To get back to BIOS from here, I shut off the computer, disconnected all the drives and rebooted.

I tried booting with one RAM stick in at a time. Both worked, both showed up in BIOS under "memory information" and both show up together correctly in BIOS.

I then tried plugging my SATA dvd r/w drive into the 7th and 8th SATA ports which are slightly slower SATA 3g ports unlike the other SATA 6g ports. This time the drive showed up in BIOS. The boot options for selecting boot order etc. became selectable again. I popped in my windows 7 disc to see if I could get it to boot but it did not work. I got some error about BOOTMGR not being present. I dont think those two "other" SATA ports were meant for bootable devices. Likewise connecting my SSD to the "other" SATA ports got it to show up in BIOS but I could not boot the OS installed on the drive.

another issue arose. I dont know if it is the same problem as above. BIOS froze up and became unresponsive when I connected a usb drive. I had copied an updated BIOS version to the USB memory stick and planned on trying a BIOS update but could not because of this problem. If I boot the computer with the usb drive already connected, I get stuck on the mobo splash screen and am unable to access the BIOS settings.
!