Sign in with
Your question

Video card casuing lockup/freezing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2010 2:25:50 PM

Hey, all. New to the forums. Been a regular reader of Tom's but first time posting.

I've been having problems with my computer locking up/freezing completely, meaning the screen just freezes on whatever is on it, mouse/sound/keyboard stop responding and the only way to move on is to do a hard reboot. There is no BSOD, just a total freeze.

I've replaced my motherboard, RAM, removed my sound card, reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP 32-bit but the problem still persists. It happens seemingly randomly. It can happen with just Firefox open, or when playing WoW for 1 hour or not at all for an entire 2-3 day stretch. I've been running a temperature monitor and have never seen a problem with the temps.

The computer is mainly used for WoW so that most of the freezes happen when WoW is running isn't necessarily the cause. It has also happened when playing Left 4 Dead 2 as well.

I think it might be that the video card is failing or is faulty since I've replaced/reinstalled a bunch of components already. Only things that I haven't replaced are the CPU, video card, hard drive and DVD-drive.

Anyone know where to begin or have heard of this? Any help is appreciated. Let me know what information I could post that would be helpful.
January 7, 2010 6:13:30 AM

There's a chance it can be your power supply. Do you have one of those high-quality branded ones, or a no-name unit that came with your case?
January 7, 2010 12:11:25 PM

This is PSU I have:

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
January 7, 2010 1:27:30 PM

Okay, your PSu is not too good, but what about your card? what model?
January 7, 2010 2:35:55 PM

EVGA 384-P3-N853-AR GeForce 8800GS Superclocked 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Fairly basic.
a b Î Nvidia
January 8, 2010 3:07:06 AM

Have u connected the power connector for your card?
January 8, 2010 1:26:35 PM

Yeah, the power connector is connected to the video card. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I am running dual monitors from it. I've run dual monitors in the past on various computers (even work laptops/computers) and never had a problem.

Oh, and I swapped out video cards and put in a EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support card and it still froze.

I mentioned that it has frozen in the past just running Firefox, but it seems like it freezes much more often when gaming (specifically running large-scale WoW fights or L4D2 online).
!