Re-using RAM

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Virus
  • RAM
  • Computer
Last response: in Memory
August 6, 2010 9:05:30 PM

Hi i got a virus on my other computer and i cant figure out how to get it off. So i decided to build a new computer using parts from that computer mixed with new parts. So my question is will my ram still work in another computer after i got a virus on the computer using it? Also, can you mix different types of ram like dual channel and single channel and different brands?

More about : ram

a b } Memory
August 6, 2010 9:45:09 PM

1) Have you done a reinstall of your OS? It will take care of 99.99% of viruses I know of. After the install, scan all your backup files before reinstalling.

2) You can reuse your RAM as long as supported with new system.

3) Yes, you can mix as long as they are able to run at the timings, voltage & MHz of the slowest RAM.
m
l
August 6, 2010 10:03:26 PM

tecmo34 said:
1) Have you done a reinstall of your OS? It will take care of 99.99% of viruses I know of. After the install, scan all your backup files before reinstalling.

2) You can reuse your RAM as long as supported with new system.

3) Yes, you can mix as long as they are able to run at the timings, voltage & MHz of the slowest RAM.

No i didnt reinstall my os because i couldnt find the backup but i was about to replace it anyways because it was slow so i just want to salvage what i can and throw out what i cant.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 7, 2010 5:33:39 PM

Don't reuse the hard disk. :D 
m
l
August 7, 2010 5:45:05 PM

jsc said:
Don't reuse the hard disk. :D 

Yes i might have realized that haha :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
August 7, 2010 5:49:03 PM

THe majority of Virii will only effect the files on the HDD so just reformatting it will normally fix things (though there are a few that can effect the BIOS they are rare) - Do you have access to another system to download things to ?? If so you should be able to get rid of the virus by downloading Spybot Search and Destroy to a CD or thumbdrive and then booting into safe mode and installing and running Sbybot - It usually will find and rid the system of most virii and Then I usually will also run an AVG anti virus scan afterwards just to see if it comes up clean -- between the 2 they normally will find and rid your system of the virus.

If for some reason they do not work then just reformatting the HDD and reinstalling the OS or upgrading the OS at that time usually also gets rid of the virus as well.

But for your original question - Yes you can reuse the RAM since all information it stores is gone once you turn off power so there is no way it can be damaged (unless the virus somehow changes the system's RAM voltage and physically damages it !
August 7, 2010 5:56:11 PM

Best answer selected by joe12o.
m
l
!