Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down during high performance

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2010 11:43:27 AM

My computer shuts off when I play Sacred 2 or when I try to make a DVD from avi file using Cyberlink Power Producer 5. I thought it was the power supply that was not powerful enough so I upgraded from 750 watt to 1050 watt. Now after spending $150, I still have that problem. Running windows 7 64bit on: intel core 2 quad 2.4 GHz nvidia nforce 680i sli motherboard BFG nvidia 285 GTX 1GB DDR3 Graphics 4 GB Ram 4- 1 TB HDs 1- 500GB HD 1- DVD MultiBurner 8- Fans
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2010 11:53:11 AM

I'm willing to bet it's a heat issue. Go look in the "Step-By-Step Guide to Building a PC" and use the temperature program to test it. It's under Step 10. If it is really high, pick up a CPU cooler.
m
l
January 11, 2010 3:51:28 PM

I remember when TomsHardware did that video a little while ago on what would happen to a CPU if the fan was taken off, and it literally started giving off smoke. So, in light of MadAdmirals answer, and compared to the fact that everything else is in the PC is fine, I'm thinking its the quad core.
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2010 4:16:13 PM

Do you have anything overclocked in the BIOS?
m
l
January 11, 2010 7:01:58 PM

I do not have anything overclocked. I have noticed higher CPU temperature. Whenever I ran CPU demanding software hightest temp has been around 45 C, now it goes up to around 55 C.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2010 7:09:02 PM

I'd say that's your problem then. Is it a stock cooler?
m
l
January 11, 2010 7:22:09 PM

55 C for your CPU temps is not that high and in fact is low to be under full load.
Your motherboard is old. Check all the endcaps of its capacitors. If they're solid check the motherboard manufacturer's website. I bet those are 5000 VRM capacitors meaning a life expectancy of 5 years but that's only an average of 3 hours a day running your PC. It's about 280 days if you left your PC on 24/7.

I'm only saying this because your symptoms match exactly a friend's computer (about 5 years old) and after an inspection with the magnifying glass I found some leaky capacitors. I replaced only the motherboard and used the rest of his old components and everything worked as normal again.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2010 8:53:03 PM

^+1...

Your temps are not too high that they are in the unsafe range. To verify, download Prime95 and run the blend test for an hour or two. You will know your how hot your systems runs under a full load, after that time period.

Also, you are running an older Nvidia chipset board, so I wouldn't rule out that being the issue. Nvidia boards have been plaqued with issues over years and I won't recommend them to anyone.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2010 9:24:39 PM

TEST YOUR HARDWARE
m
l
January 11, 2010 11:38:32 PM

shogun_11 said:
I remember when TomsHardware did that video a little while ago on what would happen to a CPU if the fan was taken off, and it literally started giving off smoke. So, in light of MadAdmirals answer, and compared to the fact that everything else is in the PC is fine, I'm thinking its the quad core.

To this day I still think that one video was the best thing to come out of Tom's. The sad part about it... I saw it right when I came out... years later I was working on an Athlon 1500 that was well past its prime and killed it by being careless. I just had the heatsink sitting on top of the processor (no fan) and wanted to see if I could get into BIOS real quick... the PC just needed to POST for a few seconds... surely it couldn't build up enough heat that quickly! WRONG.
m
l
January 11, 2010 11:53:13 PM

The CPU has a pretty good fan. I cleaned a significant amount of dust off the heatsink on the CPU along with some other fans and now the CPU runs 38C idle, which is what I was used to. I ran Sacred 2 for about 90 minutes and did not shut down, I also successfully authored a DVD. I downloaded the real temp program and while making the DVD, the CPU load was 98% average and Core 0 was 92C, Core 1 was 90C and Cores 2 and 3 were 80C. There is still more dust left to clean and thinking about getting a better CPU fan. Thanks all for all your tips and help. Much appreciated.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2010 12:38:02 AM

dpetro said:
I downloaded the real temp program and while making the DVD, the CPU load was 98% average and Core 0 was 92C, Core 1 was 90C and Cores 2 and 3 were 80C. There is still more dust left to clean and thinking about getting a better CPU fan. Thanks all for all your tips and help. Much appreciated.

Those temps are pretty hot!! It does point to the potential issue with temps. You might want to remove the CPU fan and apply new thermal compound, such as AS5. This should help with the temps, along with cleaning out the dust. There really is no reason a stock cooler shouldn't keep your CPU cool when it isn't overclocked.
m
l
January 13, 2010 6:08:28 PM

Weak CPU cooler. Try Artic Pro Freezer 7.
m
l
January 13, 2010 7:35:09 PM

Yeah you need a stronger cooler. Get something by Coolermaster or Arctic Pro.
m
l
!