the_creed4

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hey guys, I have been fiddling around with overclocking a bit, and I have just recently discovered something, whenever I use the Asus overdrive function in the UEFI BIOS of the Asus m5a97 am3+ mobo, it cranks my fx 4100 up to 4.1 ghz, but slows down my RAM to 1155 speed? I have 8gigs of Mushkin enhanced silver line at 1333mhz, so my question is how do i fix this? I really want to keep my cpu overclock, but i dont want my RAM to slow down. All help is appreciated

Oh and i also just updated my BIOS,so that isn't the problem

D

Deleted member 217926

Overclocking your RAM gains you basically nothing and may cause instability with your CPU overclock. There is a 1% or less gain going from DDR3 1333 to DDR3 1600 or DDR3 1600 to DDR3 1866 so going to 1456 is not helping your computer be any faster at all.

Back when memory controllers were on the motherboard overclocking the RAM would yield actual gains but the newer generation of both AMD and Intel chips have the memory controller on the CPU. Higher speed RAM can still help with integrated graphics.

Set the RAM at it's rated speed and timings and overclock your CPU via the BIOS and not an automatic overclocking tool for the best results.