Cpu Upgrade Timing Advice Please

infonexus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Hi there, long time (day 1) troll of the forums here taking the upgrade plunge.

My dilemma is that most of the time when I upgrade, 1 week later an entirely new product line comes out and I get hit with the dumbo stick. I have been using a core 2 duo 6600 as my main gaming / webmaking / render station and now I have some money for new computers. I would like to know if any of you think going for the i7-930 is going to keep my current or is there something new coming around the corner? I am hoping for something that is on the new fab process 32mm? Or am I ok going with the i7 Nehalem as my choice for now. I am going to purchase 2 rigs one for render one for primary use when FEMI Nvidia gets out there so I can chose between a radeon or nvidia as my cards.

Thank you for any input!

P.S. I am visiting Vancouver Canada. If anyone knows any good computer stores with decent out of the box warranty service please let me know.

infonexus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
The six core is the extreme I take it? I have a 4000$ budget which I was going to split between two machines, do you believe buying one extreme 6 core and a single quad core i7 for the render station might be a decent idea? I do plan on overclocking everything just not in an extreme way.