Thoughts on Ebay CPUs

spur123

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Seen a few i7 930 listed on us site ebay as extreme editions has anyone ever bought one or what are peoples thought on chances one off newegg would see the same results

mayu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
You know I just posted something about that as well. There is one guy who says he is selling Intel i7-930 Black Edition and a Velocity Edition. What is the world are those I have no Idea. But Honestly I would get the normal i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz Stepping D0 one God know what are those ebay things are. I hope more people respond to your and my question so we can have better knowledge about that.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Black Edition and Velocity Editions DOT exist - beware the many scammers on ebay.

I would always recommend saving the bit extra and buying from a reputable shop - many of which online have special offers that change on a weekly basis.

What those idiots on ebay do is prey on the people that have no knowledge of computers I saw a listing for an I7 920 4GHZ extreme edtion combo. And the guy claimed it was a handpicked CPU blah blah blah. In reality all he did was overclock it to 4ghz on that board.

Now all of ebay isnt bad but you just have to be careful of what you are buying the CPU i am on i got off ebay and at a hell of a price so you just have to know what you are looking at and watch out for the scammers.

jesmoke

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I have both bought and sold processors on Ebay. If you choose to buy on Ebay look at the seller feedback and buy from a reputable seller. Also make sure to pay using Paypal for the buyer protection.

Um Black Edition is AMD....... Intels only moniker beyond Core i7 is Extreme Edition so if it wsays anything beyond that, they are just either normal chips or scams.

If you can find a legit eBay user, they are fine. I bought a Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz Extreme Edition for my old 478 system in 2005 for $150 and it still is running great. So I have had it 5 years and it has yet to die and even though I had a Pentium 4 3.2GHz, this thing cut my DVD ripping times from 30 minutes to 7 minutes, which back then was insane. Might have been the L3 cache they had on the P4 EEs......

Either way, find a high rated seller and it will be fine.

So lets see, I paid $150 for a CPU that at retail at the time was still at $900 that was used and has been working and still is working great in my old system for 5+ years is defective, stolen and over priced?

huh......

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I bought my X9000 for my laptop on EBay, cost about 320 GBP.

I've had it up to 3.4GHz too, amazing.

It shipped in a small wooden box, for protection.

It was however, an 'ES' version, meaning Engineering Sample. Due to this it does not report temp at all. That is not to say the laptops' fans don't clock up and down, just that using Core Temp and the like report garbage, or nothing at all.

I'm about to buy another 'ES' it would seem, an 920QX-M, for my new 8942G. Quite looking forward to it.

Here are the rules I use in buying CPUs from eBay. I've bought several so far and my experience has always been perfect.

1. Buy from a reputable-looking seller. I basically look at if they are an eBay store, how much stuff they sell, and how much good feedback they get. A guy who runs an eBay store and has 100 items listed is pretty clearly running it as a business, and you won't stay in business long if you ship defective products. The feedback is used to confirm this.

2. Only buy CPUs from sellers with a return policy. If a CPU gets damaged in transit or otherwise is DOA, being able to demand an exchange or refund is a good idea. If you buy "as-is, no refunds or exchanges," you have to eat the costs if you get a defective unit.

3. Be VERY wary of buying high-end desktop CPUs popular with overclockers. There is a distinct possibility that it has been overclocked and overvolted and that it may not have a very long lifespan. This is especially true of multiplier-unlocked chips like AMD A64 FXes, Intel Extreme Editions, and AMD Black Editions. If you see anywhere in the description about the unit's overclocking potential, that is a huge red flag that the CPU may not last all that long.

Not necessarily. A lot of stuff on eBay is being sold by legit resellers that buy an entire lot of something and resell in smaller quanitites or by people who resell used surplus as a business.

The 130 nm P4s loved the L3 cache, that's for sure. I orignally had two 2.67 Prestonias (no L3 cache, the Xeon version of the P4B) and a pair of 3.20 GHz/2 MB L3 Gallatins (the chip your P4EE was based on, except with a 533 MHz FSB) I got from eBay for $30 are considerably faster all-around. For hoots and grins, I ran Folding@Home on the old and new chips and the two Gallatins are about 90% faster than the two Prestonias on the same WUs. Running ffmpeg to help with some low-def video encoding went from about 26-28 fps with the Prestonias to 42-44 fps with the Gallatins.

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

It may not be overpriced or defective, but it still could be stolen.

:ouch: Who would sell a CPU, he/she bought a while ago at about $900, at $150, a whooping $750 loss??

He could either be crazy, or be a thief looking for a quick buck :heink:

piperpilot12w

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

MXYZPTLK11

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

HEY, YES I AM LOOKING FOR THESE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT IS STILL AVAILABLE,YOU CAN CONTACT ME @ MXYZPTLK11@GMAIL.COM

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hijack incoming. Please bring this to PM. I was looking a whille back for a 939 Athlon X2 chip and the prices were crazy (240-300$)! I only found one good seller with a decent price that's not from Hong-Kong (30$ Canada). So really beware of some sellers.

MXYZPTLK11

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

OK THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP..............