Sign in with
Your question

Can I change it?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2010 10:51:10 PM

I have a old board, its a DFI Nforce 4 motherboard ( NF SLI-M2) One pci express 16x slot doesn't work anymore and I don't have enough money to buy my new system hardware. and I'm using the other pci express slot, and in my motherboard book it said it's a 16x slot but it's running a 2x? is there a way of changing it to 16x?

please give me some answers and thanks for reading this.

More about : change

a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2010 1:30:25 AM

First I would try to see if any BIOS options exist for changing the pci express lanes. Sometimes motherboards require a slot spacer in one slot in order for the other to work, but that doesn't seem like the issue here. But check with your mobo manual anyway if you haven't done so already.
Less likely, there may be a jumper on that older mobo that must be changed for greater than 2X speed. I've never seen that before, but its possible.

Ultimately it may just be that the pci express lanes themselves are broken or faulty. You should be able to find a mobo that is compatible with your CPU for around 50-60 bucks, that may be the only sure fix.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2010 1:38:03 AM

Quote:
I have a old board, its a DFI Nforce 4 motherboard ( NF SLI-M2) One pci express 16x slot doesn't work anymore and I don't have enough money to buy my new system hardware. and I'm using the other pci express slot, and in my motherboard book it said it's a 16x slot but it's running a 2x? is there a way of changing it to 16x?

please give me some answers and thanks for reading this.

Your MB has a NF 570 chipset not an NF4 chipset which is a socket 939 chipset. The board has two PCIE slots. One at 16x the second at 8x. Only the first PCIE slot has a bandwidth of 16x. It is not possible to change the data transfer rate of the second slot from 8x.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!