Sign in with
Your question

Am i crazy for even thinking about doing this??

Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2012 1:44:14 AM

Hello everyone, i have a really cool system that i built with your help (WC'ed Quad GTX 680 4GB, i7 3960x, Asus Rampg IV) with dual 560mm rads.

Its been a while since i last used it because i am in germany but i seriously thinking about doing something REALLY crazy with it.

I want to buy a Switch 810 and take it to car workshop to have it moded, i wanted to add a Lamborghini bull shaped side window and paint it with genuine Lamborghini yellow paint.

The problem is that the Switch 810 can not hold the dual 560mm rad so i was thinking in fabricating a small concrete structure with dual ..::CAR::.. cooled by a small AC unit with push/pull fans with a real 1/2 HP water pump and have the tubing routed all the way trough my house to the attic (where my PC is)

i already have an idea of the parts i need but i wanted your opinion, should i do it?? because i haven't even convinced myself of doing such thing.

More about : crazy thinking

a c 150 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 1:44:50 AM

I don't see why not, I'd just make it in a 3d program before you do anything.
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:45:55 AM

Do what your heart desires but make sure you have everythig well planned out and post pics once its done :) 
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2012 2:01:35 AM

amuffin said:
I don't see why not, I'd just make it in a 3d program before you do anything.

i can't :(  i am not a pro in 3D modeling.

although i know for sure that there are a few water pipes that go to the attic that are in use so i am thinking in using them to fit the 2 the tubes required for the loop.

and i will need a lot of time to it and i barely have to breath because i have a mid-big business to run and my wife is pregnant but i really want to do it
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:01:55 AM

Giby said:
Do what your heart desires but make sure you have everythig well planned out and post pics once its done :) 

You bet i will!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:36:10 AM

You may have problems pumping the water up to the attic. Many pumps have only between 12 and 20 feet of headroom and the flow rate drops off proportionally. The pump has to overcome the force of gravity acting on the water and even many 120v pumps won't be able to lift water more than 15 feet or so.

It's a neat project but you will need to get a proper pump, not some weak .5 HP jobby.
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:40:09 AM

btw... i hope that with the AC unit the water that goes trough the rads will be cooled to 1-10°C ...should i be worried about condensation?
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:40:26 AM

Pinhedd said:
You may have problems pumping the water up to the attic. Many pumps have only between 12 and 20 feet of headroom and the flow rate drops off proportionally. The pump has to overcome the force of gravity acting on the water and even many 120v pumps won't be able to lift water more than 15 feet or so.

It's a neat project but you will need to get a proper pump, not some weak .5 HP jobby.

Hmmm... do you think this will be enough?? ----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goulds-HSC20-Multi-Stage-Centri...
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:42:12 AM

Hope those pipes are copper and that you have designed a flushing method?
The other concern with long pipe runs is the need to insulate them, otherwise they will just act like a big heat exchanger, negating any cooling the rad can manage,
A few of us here run external Radboxes, 4Ryan6 has some rads in an old Pc case, I built a wooden one to stand the main rig on, there is always a way to achieve a goal, we just need to work out the best for your situation, and as Muffin said, a build log is a must for a project like this :-)
Moto
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:45:38 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Hope those pipes are copper and that you have designed a flushing method?
The other concern with long pipe runs is the need to insulate them, otherwise they will just act like a big heat exchanger, negating any cooling the rad can manage,
A few of us here run external Radboxes, 4Ryan6 has some rads in an old Pc case, I built a wooden one to stand the main rig on, there is always a way to achieve a goal, we just need to work out the best for your situation, and as Muffin said, a build log is a must for a project like this :-)
Moto

ok ok ok...i just got REALLY confused.

*the pipes i am going to use to route the tubing are made from solid copper.
*i don't know what a "flushing method" is.
*how can i insulate a pipe...whats insulating? :lol: 
*should i be worried about condensation? i hope that AC unit can cool the water that goes trough the rad to 1-10°C
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:47:10 AM

aqualipt said:
Hmmm... do you think this will be enough?? ----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goulds-HSC20-Multi-Stage-Centri...

That would be extreme overkill, but yes it would work.

Here's the datasheet showing the pump curve for each model in that series

http://store.kgpowersystems.com/goulds.hsc.notes.pdf

Even at 40 feet it will still do 50 GPM. Even the HSC07 would be too much.

If you're not careful the pressure could pop your fittings clean off the waterblocks if you use something that powerful.

You'll want to aim for something that can do about 2 GPM at 50 feet
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:58:15 AM

Pinhedd said:
That would be extreme overkill, but yes it would work.

Here's the datasheet showing the pump curve for each model in that series

http://store.kgpowersystems.com/goulds.hsc.notes.pdf

Even at 40 feet it will still do 50 GPM. Even the HSC07 would be too much.

If you're not careful the pressure could pop your fittings clean off the waterblocks if you use something that powerful.

Well...my system is overkill so why should my cooling system be overkill too? :lol: 

Quote:

i believe you just saved my build, thanks a lot but...doesnt the pump i linked has some sort of potency control?

Quote:

The distance from my basement to my attic is ~42ft
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 3:09:27 AM

aqualipt said:
Well...my system is overkill so why should my cooling system be overkill too? :lol: 

Quote:

i believe you just saved my build, thanks a lot but...doesnt the pump i linked has some sort of potency control?

Quote:

The distance from my basement to my attic is ~42ft

According to the datasheet it will pressurize it up to between 100 and 125 PSI (nominal and maximum respectively). By comparison, the maximum working pressure on the Swiftech MCP655 is 50PSI and the MCP 355 is 22 PSI.

I have an MCP 355 in my old PC and it's got quite a bit of force as is. 100 PSI is enough to make most waterblocks leak at best and will send barbs flying at worst. It could even stretch hoses that aren't designed to handle that kind of pressure. You will have to be extra careful
m
l
August 15, 2012 3:15:22 AM

Pinhedd said:
According to the datasheet it will pressurize it up to between 100 and 125 PSI (nominal and maximum respectively). By comparison, the maximum working pressure on the Swiftech MCP655 is 50PSI and the MCP 355 is 22 PSI.

I have an MCP 355 in my old PC and it's got quite a bit of force as is. 100 PSI is enough to make most waterblocks leak at best and will send barbs flying at worst. It could even stretch hoses that aren't designed to handle that kind of pressure. You will have to be extra careful

i am starting to think that this is bad idea...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 3:26:53 AM

aqualipt said:
i am starting to think that this is bad idea...

The pressure will fall off as it is countered by the force of gravity acting on the water column. The more the water is lifted the lower the pressure will be at the top of the column. If you can get a pump with an appropriate curve you may be okay.
m
l
August 15, 2012 3:47:45 AM

Pinhedd said:
The pressure will fall off as it is countered by the force of gravity acting on the water column. The more the water is lifted the lower the pressure will be at the top of the column. If you can get a pump with an appropriate curve you may be okay.

Ok, i will go back to the US in August 22th, i need to have everything planed by then, i already called a buddy that works on a Lamborghini dealer shop and he said he can sell me the paint and talk to one of his employees to modify my Switch 810 when i buy it.

soo, what do i need?

Paint--> checked!
Modification job-->checked!
7.5 ton AC unit for rads and basement--> checked! (i will buy it when i get home)
FORD RACING 2010 MUSTANG COBRA JET RADIATOR M-8005-CJ--> checked! (i will buy them when i get home)
Tubing--> for the inside of the case i will use the one i already have
Tubing--->i need a tubing compatible with the rad i listed and with the pump
Pump--> i don't know... it must be able to pump 2GPM at 50ft.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 6:16:29 AM

Awesome ;) 

I plan on modding a silverstone FT03 into a Doctor Who TARDIS in the future :) 
m
l
August 15, 2012 6:16:34 AM

i still dont know if i am going to do this or not... i need someone to reply first
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 6:27:15 AM

Gotta sketch it out first :) 
m
l
August 15, 2012 6:32:12 AM

amuffin said:
Gotta sketch it out first :) 

the problem is that i don't know how...there is a big a$$ copper tube that goes from my basement to my attic that i was planning to use to install a bathroom on my attic but i used another waterline.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 7:21:32 AM

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pro...

http://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Simer-3305P-Water-Pump/...

The second links pump I know will do what you want to do and it is not that much
The first links pump should be able to handle this job and if it can I think would be the better setup as it already has a lot of safety and convenience wiring done for you.

If you are going to cool the water to below freezing temps you will need an additive to keep it from freezing antifreeze will work but ethanol will work better
http://www.procooling.com/index.php?func=articles&disp=...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 9:23:22 AM

The real pump like the one in the pool will be very powerful, but it sounds like an incoming train, so I don't think its worth it. I have a pool in my backyard, everytime the pump runs, the sound is very annoying. It uses quite a bit of electricity as well btw.
m
l
August 15, 2012 9:50:06 AM

jacknhut said:
The real pump like the one in the pool will be very powerful, but it sounds like an incoming train, so I don't think its worth it. I have a pool in my backyard, everytime the pump runs, the sound is very annoying. It uses quite a bit of electricity as well btw.

My pc is in the attic and the pump in the basement so i think i am ok :lol: 

btw...the last thing i am worried about is electricity, compared to germany the electricity and gas in the US is free
m
l
August 15, 2012 9:53:10 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pro...

http://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Simer-3305P-Water-Pump/...

The second links pump I know will do what you want to do and it is not that much
The first links pump should be able to handle this job and if it can I think would be the better setup as it already has a lot of safety and convenience wiring done for you.

If you are going to cool the water to below freezing temps you will need an additive to keep it from freezing antifreeze will work but ethanol will work better
http://www.procooling.com/index.php?func=articles&disp=...

that looks great but Pinhedd said i cant use a half HP pump...remember the distance between the pump and my PC will be almost 50ft
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 10:10:45 AM

The second one is a single ½ HP jet head pump designed to pump water 90 feet straight up.

The first one is a ½ HP as well but not jet head that one is designed for extended 24/7 use and it can push the water that high but it would be maxed out doing it with both pumps running. But I think that once the loop is filled, bleed, and flowing it will be able to maintain the loop with only one pump running at a time, like it is designed to run in order to preserve the life of the system.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 10:14:16 AM

I would talk to the person that made that portal gun with a 3d printer. i think it would be easer for you to make a scale model of a lambo and toss in a gaming mb and have the ports come out the back of the car. I think with some sheet plastic and heat you could make a nice looking model.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 10:21:34 AM

alow me to Clarify the second pump is a water well pump it has a lot of pressure but it is not designed to run 27/7 the pump would burn up.
The first one is a live well pump for big boats and it is designed to run for weeks at a time 24/7.
m
l
a c 331 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 4:22:36 PM

You guys are only accounting for one direction of pump flow- UP. Head pressure is only part of this, as flow is only part of this. What you have to consider more than anything is that this is going to be a closed loop and your pump is going to be pushing water up as much as gravity and the pump is also pulling it back down in one continuous volume...like a loop of rope running around a pulley. Yes, you might consider a couple pumps depending on total distance to travel or a single pump...check out Iwaki- they make some enthusiast level pumps that are quite reasonable when you consider the pricing.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 7:18:47 PM

Or throw this into the pot of ideas,
One of those H.c. pumps feeding from basement to a reservoir on the attic floor, then a 'normal' W/c pump or two to take/return water from that res,
any pressure issues will be resolved in that reservoir and should not affect the W/c loop feeding from it
I considered a similar setup a while back but was forbidden from digging the garden up and drilling holes through the exterior wall :p 
Moto
m
l
August 15, 2012 7:54:26 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
alow me to Clarify the second pump is a water well pump it has a lot of pressure but it is not designed to run 27/7 the pump would burn up.
The first one is a live well pump for big boats and it is designed to run for weeks at a time 24/7.

lol, dont worry, i only use that computer for gaming about 3-4 hours a week, the rest of the time i use my laptop
m
l
August 15, 2012 7:57:23 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You guys are only accounting for one direction of pump flow- UP. Head pressure is only part of this, as flow is only part of this. What you have to consider more than anything is that this is going to be a closed loop and your pump is going to be pushing water up as much as gravity and the pump is also pulling it back down in one continuous volume...like a loop of rope running around a pulley. Yes, you might consider a couple pumps depending on total distance to travel or a single pump...check out Iwaki- they make some enthusiast level pumps that are quite reasonable when you consider the pricing.

yes, its going to be a closed loop, one of the things that worries me more is the preassure, according to pinhead 100PSI will make my water block leak and i don't want that
m
l
August 15, 2012 8:14:50 PM

Here is an idea. put the puter downstairs and remote desktop to it using windows slim pc and a slimed pc. evga has some realy cool options for this..... as well..
m
l
August 15, 2012 9:54:42 PM

Guys, i've decided to cancel the project, i am just gonna add a 480mm rad when i get home :??: 
everything is waay more complex than what i thought
sorry...
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 10:37:34 PM

No probs man, keep having the ideas though, one day you will go for it :-)
Moto
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 10:40:34 PM

aqualipt said:
yes, its going to be a closed loop, one of the things that worries me more is the preassure, according to pinhead 100PSI will make my water block leak and i don't want that

The extra large res I mentioned would relieve that pressure issue :-)
Your blocks would be under normal W/c pressures and be in no danger of leaking/exploding :-)
Moto
m
l
August 15, 2012 10:46:32 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
No probs man, keep having the ideas though, one day you will go for it :-)
Moto

You bet i will!!

but not right now, maybe in a couple of months, i have to plan everything :??: 
m
l
!