Longevity of wireless cards?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 25, 2004 1:25:21 AM

I put in a wireless network at my house a year ago and everything worked
great until about 6 weeks ago. My signal strength dropped from 4 out of 5
bars to 1 bar on 2 different laptops. One laptop had a built in
Intel/Centrino mini-PCI card and the other laptop had a Dlink card-bus card
which matched the router. Since both went bad at the same time, I replaced
the router. Didn't help. I bought a new Dlink card and put in the 2nd
laptop. Everything back to normal. I disabled the built-in Intel card and
tried the new card in the first laptop. Good signal in that one, too.

Any ideas on what would make two different cards go bad at the same time?
The Centrino laptop traveled a lot, but the other never left a desk. Is a
year all you should expect in terms of life expectancy?
July 25, 2004 7:52:55 PM

Just because signal strength drops to a lower level does not mean that a
hardware device such as your wireless card is failing. Could be, for
example, that your system was experiencing interference from a cell phone or
portable phone.

I lose signal strength occasionally, and usually I can regain it by turning
the modem and router off, waiting about a minute, then turning them back on.

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> I put in a wireless network at my house a year ago and everything worked
> great until about 6 weeks ago. My signal strength dropped from 4 out of 5
> bars to 1 bar on 2 different laptops. One laptop had a built in
> Intel/Centrino mini-PCI card and the other laptop had a Dlink card-bus
card
> which matched the router. Since both went bad at the same time, I
replaced
> the router. Didn't help. I bought a new Dlink card and put in the 2nd
> laptop. Everything back to normal. I disabled the built-in Intel card
and
> tried the new card in the first laptop. Good signal in that one, too.
>
> Any ideas on what would make two different cards go bad at the same time?
> The Centrino laptop traveled a lot, but the other never left a desk. Is a
> year all you should expect in terms of life expectancy?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 25, 2004 11:04:48 PM

Yes, I've observed that, too, but this was different. Huge difference with
the new cards, without doing anything else. The bad cards still worked--if
I took the laptops into the room with the router, they would work OK, but
both go to one bar more than about 15 ft away. I'm suspicious that the
Centrino laptop has an antenna problem rather than a card problem, but am
not sure I want to go to the trouble of trouble-shooting.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> Just because signal strength drops to a lower level does not mean that a
> hardware device such as your wireless card is failing. Could be, for
> example, that your system was experiencing interference from a cell phone
or
> portable phone.
>
> I lose signal strength occasionally, and usually I can regain it by
turning
> the modem and router off, waiting about a minute, then turning them back
on.

> "Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > I put in a wireless network at my house a year ago and everything worked
> > great until about 6 weeks ago. My signal strength dropped from 4 out of
5
> > bars to 1 bar on 2 different laptops. One laptop had a built in
> > Intel/Centrino mini-PCI card and the other laptop had a Dlink card-bus
> card
> > which matched the router. Since both went bad at the same time, I
> replaced
> > the router. Didn't help. I bought a new Dlink card and put in the 2nd
> > laptop. Everything back to normal. I disabled the built-in Intel card
> and
> > tried the new card in the first laptop. Good signal in that one, too.
> >
> > Any ideas on what would make two different cards go bad at the same
time?
> > The Centrino laptop traveled a lot, but the other never left a desk. Is
> > year all you should expect in terms of life expectancy?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 25, 2004 11:46:46 PM

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:25:21 GMT, "Joe Davis"
<davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote:

>I put in a wireless network at my house a year ago and everything worked
>great until about 6 weeks ago. My signal strength dropped from 4 out of 5
>bars to 1 bar on 2 different laptops. One laptop had a built in
>Intel/Centrino mini-PCI card and the other laptop had a Dlink card-bus card
>which matched the router. Since both went bad at the same time, I replaced
>the router. Didn't help. I bought a new Dlink card and put in the 2nd
>laptop. Everything back to normal. I disabled the built-in Intel card and
>tried the new card in the first laptop. Good signal in that one, too.
>
>Any ideas on what would make two different cards go bad at the same time?
>The Centrino laptop traveled a lot, but the other never left a desk. Is a
>year all you should expect in terms of life expectancy?

I don't think so. I've had a pair of cards for a couple of years now
and they're doing fine. They are as cheap as I could get at the time
and I haven't had any trouble. I guess weird things do happen.
!