Sign in with
Your question

Lack of GTX 295s on the market?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2010 5:42:32 PM

Is it me or is there a severe lack of GTX 295s in online stores? Been looking for one (or two) for the past couple weeks with no success. Is there something I don't know about?

More about : lack gtx 295s market

a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2010 6:19:56 PM

It does seem to be hard to find. In any case an HD5870 is a much better buy imo. DX11, single GPU, great power efficiency, eyefinity, cheaper, ect. If you wont consider ATI I would definitely recommend waiting a few months for the new Nvidia cards before spending that kind of money. The high end Nvidia cards right now really aren't a good choice for the money.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:27:30 PM

if that's the case, would 2 of them show me a very good return on the cash required? I almost bought a 5970, but unfortunately my case lacks the space. Damn thing is over 12 inches long. I have about 11.5 inches of clearance. Sad day. In either case, would getting 2 5870's straight off be worth it?
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2010 6:28:51 PM

I would hold off if you MUST have a Nvidia card. the price/performance of a 295 doesn't justify its purchase when you look at what ATI has out right now. I still own one 295 and am happy with it but if I were buying a card right now, I wouldn't consider it unless it was an insane good deal and those just aren't to be had right now. 5870 uses less power, runs cooler and frees you from the potential multi-gpu headaches you could encounter.5870 also happens to beat it in many benchmarks which makes it less appealing for the price. 5870 also happens to be DX11 which is another feather in its cap and I generally lean towards Nvidia cards but ATI has very good products right now.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:29:50 PM

lol i said right now like 50 times. next time i will wait until i am not distracted before posting. =/
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:30:03 PM

I would rather get a larger case and buy the HD5970 rather than two 5870s. But then again, I'll be happy with just one HD5870.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:46:12 PM

skolpo said:
I would rather get a larger case and buy the HD5970 rather than two 5870s. But then again, I'll be happy with just one HD5870.

i considered this, but I really like the case I just acquired. Element G from Thermaltake. Plus, i'm not sure if the 5970 is a justified 600+ dollar investment. That would require me also to buy a new case, sinking in another 100+ just to get a nice new card. I really like it a lot, but not 700+ dollars.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2010 7:19:01 PM

I would just get one HD5870 for now. Unless your resolution is over 1920x1200 you wont see all that much difference by adding another for the time being. The only game that really needs more than one HD5870 is Crysis and that's only if you need to max out settings AND AA/AF. Spending hundreds more to apply 16xAA in one game is a bit silly imo. Later on you can add another for crossfire when the prices come down and there may be more games that would really take advantage of the difference in performance.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:43:19 PM

good point, JY. I think I may go that route. I contemplated getting a separate nvidia card for physx, but with the way nvidia is handling such a setup with their new drivers, I think I can live without it.
m
l
January 6, 2010 10:56:59 PM

whatspeakyou said:
good point, JY. I think I may go that route. I contemplated getting a separate nvidia card for physx, but with the way nvidia is handling such a setup with their new drivers, I think I can live without it.

Anyone can live without Physx...
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:08:39 AM

Quote:
nah Physx > DX 11. At the moment that is. Cause the only DX 11 game out now is Dirt 2 and who gives a SH*T about a racing game ;P Anyway in the future like in 1 year DX 11 will be better but the DX 11 nvidia cards will already be out by then AND NO IM NOT AN NVIDIA FANBOY! I got a HD 4890. Im only telling the truth.

this is true. However, if Nvidia cannot outperform AMD within the next year, you can pretty much kiss physx goodbye. With the way nvidia is treating their physx on their drivers (no non-nvidia gpus allowed), they either need to put some great stuff out or find their precious physx in the trash can.
m
l
January 7, 2010 12:00:19 PM

Nvidia borked the support for their Ageia cards recently. When I asked at nvidia forms , they just tell me to get a new Nvidia card with bult in Physx. I qucikly placed order for an ATI 5870. Who the hell do they think they are. They lost this customer.
m
l
January 7, 2010 7:13:08 PM

maximiza said:
Nvidia borked the support for their Ageia cards recently. When I asked at nvidia forms , they just tell me to get a new Nvidia card with bult in Physx. I qucikly placed order for an ATI 5870. Who the hell do they think they are. They lost this customer.

I'm close to getting a 5870 myself, however I'm curious to see how CES 2010 plays out with the Fermi cards from Nvidia. I'm traditionally an Nvidia guy, but they've been screwing the pooch lately. I'm going to hold off getting a GPU for my rig until I get some legit statistics on the Fermi cards. Apparently, rumor has it, a release date of the first week in March is circulating at CES for said cards. Leads me to believe some info should be released soon from Nvidia at CES.

If i don't like what I hear, Nvidia may have lost me as well.
m
l
January 15, 2010 10:00:28 AM

I heard from a supplier when i got mine that they had stopped making the 295 as fermi was around the corner but as we have seen its has been a myth that is up to now were toms got a glimpse of a fermi. But as the others said in that topic it was presented by a sales rep with no pics or nothing of benchmarks and even said that it wasnt finished. i have high hopes for fermi i think itll do well but it has alot to catch up to as those ATI cards really look the buisness.
m
l
!