Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Closed Loop CPU Cooling Advise

Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:42:46 AM

Hey Everyone!

So i've been throwing around the idea recently to water cool my cpu. however, i dont really want to go with a dual fan radiator because i like the blue fans on top of my case.

My question is ,in your opinion, what would be my best option for brand and product? I know of Corsair, Thermaltake, Zalman, Intel, and Antec that make cpu water coolers but i cant tell any significant differences.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 3:02:27 AM

What does the blue fans on the top of your case have to do with getting a radiator?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A cooler like this one could be mounted at the rear of the case where the rear fan is now. All you would have to do is remove the rear fan and mount the radiator. If you don't want it inside the case you can always mount it on the outside at that rear fan spot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 3:02:45 AM

Welcome!

We have a section on closed-loop coolers in the watercooling sticky that might help you with your decision. any particular reason you want to watercool? Performance? Looks? Bragging rights?

In general there are only two manufacturers for closed loop units - Corsair and Asetek. Asetek makes units for Antec and Intel, while Corsair makes their own (dunno their OEM if they have one).

We don't recommend ThermalTake or Zalman because the units are expensive and the units are very low quality. You'll be wasting money at that point.
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2012 3:08:29 AM

boiler1990 said:
Welcome!

We have a section on closed-loop coolers in the watercooling sticky that might help you with your decision. any particular reason you want to watercool? Performance? Looks? Bragging rights?

In general there are only two manufacturers for closed loop units - Corsair and Asetek. Asetek makes units for Antec and Intel, while Corsair makes their own (dunno their OEM if they have one).

We don't recommend ThermalTake or Zalman because the units are expensive and the units are very low quality. You'll be wasting money at that point.

The reason im interested in water cooling is mainly because i would like my computer as quiet as possible and for performance as well (sometimes i dont trust the stock cpu coolers)
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 3:17:58 AM

You may not trust the stock coolers but there are good heatsinks that you can use also.
Are you overclocking the cpu at all? Whether you get a heatsink/fan or the closed loop cooler there will still be a fan involved.

This one would also be a god choice and is very popular and very good.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 4:32:01 AM

Personally I think the closed loop kits are complete junk. If you are going to water cool I would go for a full loop or not at all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:23:39 PM

inzone said:

This one would also be a god choice and is very popular and very good.

If you're just upgrading for noise and performance, I would suggest this one as well. I owned two of the Hyper 212+ models, and these are a tad bit better. You get what you want for much less than a closed loop.
m
l
August 16, 2012 9:37:09 PM

I think you guys make a solid point on the hyper 212. the water cooling looks really cool, but it doesn't seem to add up with price and performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 16, 2012 9:41:36 PM

cool7141 said:
I think you guys make a solid point on the hyper 212. the water cooling looks really cool, but it doesn't seem to add up with price and performance.

From the list of items you originally listed, yes, price and performance would lend to the 212+. However, you should also realize there are significant performance differences in closed loop coolers and actual watercooling. They are based on the same principles, but a Corsair liquid cooler is no where near as effective as full watercooling, and most of us that frequent this and other watercooling forums will agree that these are a night and day difference.
m
l

Best solution

a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 16, 2012 10:17:36 PM

This is true but those of us who have water cooling and like the challange of it will agree that a Corsair H-80 or H-100 is just a heatsink that might offer a slightly better cooling solution then a heatsink/fan. If a person likes the challange of water cooling and can afford it there's nothing like it.
So if your not overclocking and you don't want to invest in water cooling then your better off with a nice quality heatsink/fan.
August 16, 2012 10:41:06 PM

Best answer selected by cool7141.
m
l
August 16, 2012 10:42:37 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback! it's been interesting hearing everyone's opinions and thoughts. This community is great!!
m
l
!