Which Motherboard and choosing the right RAM...?

ladybastilla

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I'm looking into building a new computer and have pretty much decided to go AMD. I'm looking at the 955 / 965 / 1055T or 1090T for a processor. Still haven't made up my mind whether to go x4 or x6 really.

That is just a 'decide and do it' thing, though. What is really giving me a hard time is choosing the right motherboard for me and making sure I'm putting the right RAM into it.

I'm pretty much debating whether to get an 890g or an 890fx. I am not a hugely tech savvy person. Having the option to get more graphics cards is nice but there is no guarantee I will ever use it. As for specific boards I am leaning toward:

GIGABYTE 890gpa-ud3h or GIGABYTE 890fxa-ud5 Despite what the prices on newegg are telling you the prices I will be dealing with are from Canada Computers. The fx board is $210 or the g board is $145.

I am also looking at going with this RAM since it fits within the largest number that does not include (O.C.) in its name. Yet again: really not the tech type and from what I have read if I put higher RAM in my PC and do not OC it if needed it is either going to not work or drop down to this speed anyway. Paying more for the same performance does not seem like a great idea.

However, I would appreciate if anyone could clarify this if I have misunderstood what I read. Am I making a terrible mistake choosing that RAM?

Advice about this would be very much appreciated so that I can finally decide what motherboard I need and what type of RAM needs to go in there, freeing me up to focus on other things. :) Thanks for your time!

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
Solution

ladybastilla

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks. :) I suppose that since RAM is easy to put in (my dad got more for his older PC and installed it himself last year) that I could start with four and get more later if I really needed it. That would allow me to get a nice CPU and insure that I don't skimp on other important things, like the power supply. Thanks. :)

Stick to 4GB and if you are itching for a show off, 6GB. :)
8GB is way too much for current needs.

And i would pretty much agree with whatever tecmo34 said. 790G chipsets are the topmost in the line of AMD's. So stick to them. Even if you are not tech-savvy, it doesnt matter. You would learn with time. The 790G chipset would give you lots of options to do that.