DougTGN

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Heya, for about 2 years I've been running a homebuilt computer that's been working pretty well for me
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Graphics Card: nVidia 8800GT
Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda's
RAM: Corsair
PSU: Corsair WX550w

It's always worked fine for me (except some issues with graphics card heating which meant I had to keep it underclocked) but after moving it from home to Uni after Christmas, I'm having issues with it powering on.

When I first set it back up after I got back, I had the long beep - two short beeps of my graphics card not working, I moved it about slightly and got part of the BIOS running on the screen, but then it failed again.

After taking the card fully out and putting it back in, I could get through to the windows 7 boot options and futher, but neither the mouse nor the keyboard had any lights from the computer showing that they were connected, (tried using the keyboard both as USB and PS2, neither of them had any lights).

On top of this, the chances of the computer actually powering on when I press the power button are fairly low, the computer tends to not react while the monitor + keyboard + mouse are actually plugged into the computer and even if I remove them, it'll still not start.

However, if I unplug the graphics card entirely, the computer will start normally (goes to the beeps happily 100% of the time). I assumed that it was probably a graphics card problem (I always have bad luck with graphics cards) so I tried switching the graphics card with my housemates but it still had the exact same behaviour.

From this, I'm guessing it's either a motherboard issue or a power supply issue, but as I'm more or less wildly guessing at this point I was hoping someone with more experience of what could be going wrong could help.

Thanks in advance =]

I'm not the best troubleshooter, but my bet is that it's a power supply issue. My reasoning is that the motherboard work fine as long as the GPU isn't being used, which would be odd if it was the motherboard. The easiest way to check this is to swap PSU with another computer. If your PSU works in the other computer, try adding your GPU to it. Then, if it still works, it's something else in your computer.

Either way, I would still check the other PSU with your build, just to make sure you didn't miss anything else.

DougTGN

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Okay doke, I'll try and see if I can pursuade my flatmate to let me steal his PSU temporarily tommorow although that may be slightly difficult given that I don't think he wants me to dismantle his entire PC :p

Thanks, if anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear it =]

DougTGN

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Right, I borrowed a PSU off someone and it booted up + ran fine for a bit (however, if I booted up a game the computer crashed, but that can be put down to 8800GT and only 24 amps on the 12v rail).

After maybe 10 of idling however, the mouse + keyboard stopped being lit up. Now the computer is back to the situation of being dead to the touch and not starting up at all when you press the power button.

As I've now ruled out the graphics card and PSU all I can really think of to blame is the motherboard so I'm planning on buying a new one and keeping my fingers crossed and hope that trial and error works (unless of course, someone has a better idea of what to blame)

I'm currently using http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2729&ProductName=GA-P35-S3G .

Can anyone recommend me another motherboard that would be compatable?

Thanks in advance =]

DougTGN

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Apparently I'm not allowed to edit my above message so needless bump instead =[

I'm having to look at http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169508/instead as apparently DDR2 isn't backwards compatable with DDR3 =/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd ideally like to have to get round to buying stuff pre-12 so I can get it delivered by tommorow =/

Thanks in advance =]