Computer freezes, Colored dot pattern covers screen

reid8470

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi, I just recently built my new computer, yet i'm having a problem: It takes roughly an hour of manually restarting to actually get my computer running. When it loads up the desktop on Windows 7, the screen freezes up and displays a pattern of colored dots (Pictures I took with my camera are uploaded below). Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 2.66GHz
RAM: 6 gigs (2 2-gig, 2 1-gig)
Graphics Card: nVidia GTX 280
PSU: Corsair 750W
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
HDD: 320gig
Cooling:
--Fans: 1 front, 1 back
--CPU: AC Freezer Pro 7 Fan&Heatsink

What I've Done:

-Reinstalled graphics drivers (Several times, disallowing Windows Update to try and install later versions)
-Reseated RAM
-Reseated Video Card

When It Happens:

-When I turn the computer on and the Windows 7 Desktop loads.
-When I turn off a computer game. (I play World of Warcraft, and I can leave it running for 5-6 hours on the highest possible graphics display with no problems, yet when I exit the game, the same freeze with colored dots covering the screen will occasionally happen.)

I'm not quite sure what it is. I've reseated my ram and video card, tried to allow as much airflow as possible. It seems as if it's overheating, but it only happens when I turn the computer on or, after getting it to run, exiting a game that I could have open for several hours.

Pictures:

http://i45.tinypic.com/11tr4gw.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/k2e4o2.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mphnhz.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/21yezl.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2cn8s90.jpg

Could it be a faulty graphics card? Or is there a problem with the nVidia drivers? I just had my 280 replaced through RMA with BFG Tech (They sent me a new one); so if it is it shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced, but i'm just not sure quite yet. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

reid8470

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Note: I also tried a different monitor and a different display (DVI and VGA). Still happening.. And after looking around several other websites, I'm now aware of the possibility that it is the RAM. Any thoughts?

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
So I take it you don't see that during bootup (e.g., bios screen, windows splash screen)? Did the old card you RMA'd have the problem? Before you send back anything else I'd at least run memtest86 to rule out faulty ram

I used to have an MSI board with AGP graphics that would do something similar except in that case the dot pattern would start immediately during bootup. If I let it "warm up" eventually it would go away (odd but it kept the system limping along for a while). Though I can't be absolutely sure, I'm fairly certain the faulty card actually shorted out the AGP slot because any new agp card I tried on the system would have the same problem (and also not work on a spare PC I had). The only way I was able to solve it was to replace both the mobo and the card simultaneously. I guess my point is even though it looks like another bad card, I'd consider RMAing the mobo as well since you've already replaced the card once.

reid8470

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
The mobo is new, too. The only thing that isn't new in my computer is the hard drive. Bootup is fine, and I can access the desktop perfectly in safe mode.

I'm running it fine right now after wiping the computer and reinstalling every driver manually, then allowing windows update to do it's thing, but it could be the same old thing where I get my computer running after a while. Only time will tell (Tomorrow, or tonight when I shut a game down.)

The card I RMA'd was damaged by a faulty power supply.

reid8470

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Update:

When I run DriverSweeper to
get rid of all of my graphics drivers, I can go
and turn the computer on fine without this
problem. Afterwards if I only leave the original
drivers installed (Version 1.10) I can also turn
the computer on fully. The problem occurs when I
install the latest drivers for compatibility with
Windows 7, or even slightly earlier driver
versions. I do have an XP disk i'm ready to
use, but I don't want to get rid of Windows 7
64-bit quite yet, simply because of time and
RAM utilization, until I'm completely sure that
it is a problem with Windows 7.

Thanks,
-Reid

reid8470

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Problem is there aren't any earlier versions of the drivers for my 280 that are made specifically for Windows 7 support. Does Windows Vista utilize hardware and software in the same way as 7? I know 7 doesn't do it the same as XP.

G

I have the exact same problem! New computer 6 gigs ram, i3 processor etc similar setup. The colored dot thing happens when i quit games, but not only. It happened in bios, after startup, when starting games, a lot of situation. I know this an old thread but i desperately need help :(