Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build will not boot with graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2010 7:16:42 PM

In my new computer, the thing would not boot unless i took out the graphics card, and it had a 500w power supply. Today, I upgraded the power supply to 700w and it still will only boot with the graphics card unplugged. Right now I assume the card is dis-functional, but could it be anything else?

Specs:
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w power supply
AMD 945 Phenom II X4 3Ghz Quad Core
MSI GTS 250 graphics
Asus M4A785-M motherboard
a c 199 U Graphics card
a c 127 ) Power supply
January 6, 2010 7:35:43 PM

I only found a couple of deactivated versions of that card on Newegg...does your version use an 8-pin power connector? Your PSU will have two different kinds of 8-pin power connector; one is for a graphics card, and the other is for those motherboards with an 8-pin CPU power connector (yours has a 4-pin for the CPU). The two are not interchangeable, so do you have the right one in?
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:39:15 PM

Onus said:
I only found a couple of deactivated versions of that card on Newegg...does your version use an 8-pin power connector? Your PSU will have two different kinds of 8-pin power connector; one is for a graphics card, and the other is for those motherboards with an 8-pin CPU power connector (yours has a 4-pin for the CPU). The two are not interchangeable, so do you have the right one in?

The power supply came with two cables that looked identical. An 8 pin on one end and a 6 pin on the other. The 6 pin plugs into the graphics card and the 8 pin goes into the psu. Even if I were to switch these, how would it affect the booting process? If the cable is wrong then wouldn't it just act the same as if it were unplugged?
m
l
Related resources
a c 199 U Graphics card
a c 127 ) Power supply
January 6, 2010 7:44:22 PM

No, if it were the wrong one, + and - could be reversed and you might be shorting the PSU. Don't hook up the GPU power cable at all. The card might scream at you and may display nothing, but your system may still boot.
m
l
January 6, 2010 7:48:13 PM

Onus said:
No, if it were the wrong one, + and - could be reversed and you might be shorting the PSU. Don't hook up the GPU power cable at all. The card might scream at you and may display nothing, but your system may still boot.

Yes, the system boots when I don't hook up the gpu power cable. It works perfectly and I installed windows on it and everything. I'm typing on it right now. How can I test if the gpu itself is the problem?
m
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
a c 127 ) Power supply
January 6, 2010 7:53:56 PM

So, the GPU is installed, but with no power cable going to it? Is it supplying the video, or is your onboard HD4200 doing it? You may need to go into your BIOS and set which GPU has priority if more than one is found.
m
l
January 6, 2010 8:01:31 PM

Onus said:
So, the GPU is installed, but with no power cable going to it? Is it supplying the video, or is your onboard HD4200 doing it? You may need to go into your BIOS and set which GPU has priority if more than one is found.

The onboard graphics are supplying the video. im going to try switching the cables and tell you what happens
m
l
January 6, 2010 8:09:10 PM

switching the cables didn't work. Do you think it is the graphics card itself that is the problem?
m
l

Best solution

a c 199 U Graphics card
a c 127 ) Power supply
January 6, 2010 10:36:40 PM

Go into your BIOS. Set the priority on the graphics (may be called something like "Init Display") from onboard to PCIE. Power off. Install the graphics card, including its power cable, and attach your monitor to it, not to the onboard port. What happens?
January 6, 2010 11:56:56 PM

It worked! I actually didnt change anything in the bios because I couldnt find what you described but then i plugged the dvi in to the card and it booted up perfectly! installed the driver and its good to go. Thanks a ton!
m
l
!