Cingular Connection Manager

I just my Sony Ericsson GC83 PC Card, and I've got a couple of
questions about this application:

* The "Roaming" indicator is visible wherever I use it (in Portland,
OR). Anybody ever use this app, when it _doesn't_ say 'roaming'? Any
difference in speeds?

* When I go to the Network Info / Network tab, for network type, it
says "GPRS". Does this ever say "EDGE", to indicate when it's on an
EDGE network?

> I just my Sony Ericsson GC83 PC Card, and I've got a couple of
> questions about this application:
>
> * The "Roaming" indicator is visible wherever I use it (in Portland,
> OR). Anybody ever use this app, when it _doesn't_ say 'roaming'? Any
> difference in speeds?

Oh...what kind of SIM card do you have? Orange (Cingular) or Blue
(AWS)? If you have a Cingular SIM you would be "roaming" there because
it's still AWS, a subsidiary of Cingular, but you wouldn't be charged
roaming. I forgot about that.

> * When I go to the Network Info / Network tab, for network type, it
> says "GPRS". Does this ever say "EDGE", to indicate when it's on an
> EDGE network?

Interesting. I have an orange card , saying Cingular on it.
(Actually, orange/white on top, and light green on the bottom.)

So, I guess Cingular doesn't own any networks out here, so it's all
roaming?

I _am_, though, getting EDGE speeds as far as I can tell - file
downloads with FTP have been as high as 22 kBps. (= about 220 kbps.)
That's with a very good signal... Or should I expect more?

robb@acm.org wrote:
> Interesting. I have an orange card , saying Cingular on it.
> (Actually, orange/white on top, and light green on the bottom.)
>
> So, I guess Cingular doesn't own any networks out here, so it's all
> roaming?

Cingular owns AT&T Wireless. However, until the networks are officially
and fully integrated, the SIM doesn't know they are the same company,
and a Cingular SIM will normally think AT&T Wireless is roaming, and an
AT&T Wireless SIM will normally think Cingular is roaming.

> I _am_, though, getting EDGE speeds as far as I can tell - file
> downloads with FTP have been as high as 22 kBps. (= about 220 kbps.)
> That's with a very good signal... Or should I expect more?

I'm going to leave this alone, as I don't know much about data...

In <1110699891.491329.212460@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> on 12 Mar 2005
23:44:51 -0800, "robb@acm.org" <robb@acm.org> wrote:

>[SNIP]

I recommend using the Sony Ericsson Wireless Manager instead. Free download
from the Sony Ericsson Global Support website.