Cingular Connection Manager

I just my Sony Ericsson GC83 PC Card, and I've got a couple of
questions about this application:

* The "Roaming" indicator is visible wherever I use it (in Portland,
OR). Anybody ever use this app, when it _doesn't_ say 'roaming'? Any
difference in speeds?

* When I go to the Network Info / Network tab, for network type, it
says "GPRS". Does this ever say "EDGE", to indicate when it's on an
EDGE network?
4 answers Last reply
More about cingular connection manager

    > I just my Sony Ericsson GC83 PC Card, and I've got a couple of
    > questions about this application:
    >
    > * The "Roaming" indicator is visible wherever I use it (in Portland,
    > OR). Anybody ever use this app, when it _doesn't_ say 'roaming'? Any
    > difference in speeds?

    Oh...what kind of SIM card do you have? Orange (Cingular) or Blue
    (AWS)? If you have a Cingular SIM you would be "roaming" there because
    it's still AWS, a subsidiary of Cingular, but you wouldn't be charged
    roaming. I forgot about that.

    > * When I go to the Network Info / Network tab, for network type, it
    > says "GPRS". Does this ever say "EDGE", to indicate when it's on an
    > EDGE network?

    Interesting. I have an orange card , saying Cingular on it.
    (Actually, orange/white on top, and light green on the bottom.)

    So, I guess Cingular doesn't own any networks out here, so it's all
    roaming?

    I _am_, though, getting EDGE speeds as far as I can tell - file
    downloads with FTP have been as high as 22 kBps. (= about 220 kbps.)
    That's with a very good signal... Or should I expect more?

    robb@acm.org wrote:
    > Interesting. I have an orange card , saying Cingular on it.
    > (Actually, orange/white on top, and light green on the bottom.)
    >
    > So, I guess Cingular doesn't own any networks out here, so it's all
    > roaming?

    Cingular owns AT&T Wireless. However, until the networks are officially
    and fully integrated, the SIM doesn't know they are the same company,
    and a Cingular SIM will normally think AT&T Wireless is roaming, and an
    AT&T Wireless SIM will normally think Cingular is roaming.

    > I _am_, though, getting EDGE speeds as far as I can tell - file
    > downloads with FTP have been as high as 22 kBps. (= about 220 kbps.)
    > That's with a very good signal... Or should I expect more?

    I'm going to leave this alone, as I don't know much about data...

    In <1110699891.491329.212460@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> on 12 Mar 2005
    23:44:51 -0800, "robb@acm.org" <robb@acm.org> wrote:

    >[SNIP]

    I recommend using the Sony Ericsson Wireless Manager instead. Free download
    from the Sony Ericsson Global Support website.

Cingular Connection Sony Ericsson Internet Service Providers