Closed

BSOD & Reboot Cycle after attempting Overclock

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Blue Screen
Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2012 1:42:52 PM

Hey guys,

I was taking my computer apart yesterday to clean the dust off and re-do some cable management for my install of my SSD today. I plugged everything back in and I thought I would try to go to BIOS and overclock some stuff just for the hell of it (never doing that again). I followed an article somewhere for my MSI P67A-G45 and it was a failure.

I tried booting and it goes to a black screen and then a REALLY quick BSOD that says:

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A98E8, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X00000000000000000000

I tried changing SATA ports and changing the settings back but no luck.

Do I have a fried HDD? Will I have to lose all my data to keep the HDD? My SSD is coming in the mail today, so I can always just boot from that but I had a lot of important stuff on there and I was planning on using it with my SSD :/ 

More about : bsod reboot cycle attempting overclock

a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 1:50:32 PM

So you can get into your BIOS but you can't boot to windows?
Score
August 15, 2012 1:52:53 PM

Z1NONLY said:
So you can get into your BIOS but you can't boot to windows?

BIOS works fine. Safe mode does not even work. And sometimes it goes to a black screen with two options:
1: Repair windows, which doesnt work
2. Start windows normally doesnt work either
Score
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:13:13 PM

How did you "change the settings back" in your BIOS?
Score
August 15, 2012 2:16:46 PM

Z1NONLY said:
How did you "change the settings back" in your BIOS?

I just put the OC'd settings back to Auto and saved as new OC profile. I also switched from IDE to AHCI during the OC. So I switched back to IDE but no luck.
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:49:16 PM

I would consider removing the cable from the power supply, then removing the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes...

Then re-insert the batter and reconnect power and try to boot.

This will reset your BIOS back to factor specs if you missed a setting or two.

August 15, 2012 3:15:25 PM

Z1NONLY said:
I would consider removing the cable from the power supply, then removing the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes...

I will try that... but I think the windows 7 itself may be corrupted. :cry: 
Score
August 15, 2012 3:37:29 PM

splittrain said:
I also switched from IDE to AHCI during the OC. So I switched back to IDE but no luck.

I think this is your problem. I did a quick Google search and it looks like you'll need to make a registry change. If you can boot to command prompt, I think you can recover your installation (search for tutorials). Otherwise, you may have to reinstall.
Score
August 15, 2012 3:45:32 PM

hapkido said:
I think this is your problem. I did a quick Google search and it looks like you'll need to make a registry change. If you can boot to command prompt, I think you can recover your installation (search for tutorials). Otherwise, you may have to reinstall.

I will try this as well. what a dumba$$ i am.
Score
August 15, 2012 6:00:24 PM

any other possible quick fixes that I am overlooking? I am not at my computer right now so the more suggestions I have here, the more I can try when I get home from work. Thanks!
Score
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 9:05:09 PM

hapkido said:

I made this mistake months ago but didn't get the catastrophic results the OP is experiencing.

I don't remember the exact symptoms, but I remember that I was able to determine that the change in the BIOS alone didn't work and then reverted back to IDE, booted windows and researched the registry fix that basically tells windows to "re-detect"the settings.

It was imperative that the very next time windows booted that you had BIOS set up the way you wanted windows to use the drives.

I'm not saying this isn't his problem, but I was able to just go back to IDE when it happened to me.
Score
August 16, 2012 1:58:32 PM

Z1NONLY said:

Okay so I chose your answer as the best answer because it led me to find the fix. Instead of resetting the BIOS, I found "Load Optimized Defaults" in the MSI BIOS and I did that, saved the OC profile, then swapped back to IDE, booted into Safe Mode and VOILA! It worked. I got my external HD and backed up files to it. Then I plugged in my SSD, unplugged the HDD, and did a fresh install of Windows 7 on it.

Then I plugged in the HDD to the SATA port just to see if I could just drag and drop Battlefield 3 and Origin straight from there (instead of the USB drive) and it actually crashed the computer. I was like WTF did i do now! [:pdxalex] Started the reboot cycle again, so I went to BIOS, and apparently since I plugged in the HDD, the PC wanted to boot straight from the flawed copy of Windows. I made it so the SSD was the prioritized boot drive, then used Seagate DiscWizard and formatted and partitioned the flawed drive. Then I used the SSD Optimization Guide and tweaked my SSD, drivers, firmware and I am now using both my SSD with fresh 7 install and my 1TB HDD together while using Steam Mover to put Skyrim on the SSD and installing ALL my games on the HDD except for the most used ones. I feel pro now and wanted to type down what I did for Google indexing in case anyone else has the same problem.

Pce
Score
August 16, 2012 1:58:50 PM

Best answer selected by splittrain.
Score
August 16, 2012 3:30:32 PM

So it was the IDE/ACHI thing...

Big ups for getting your machine running again, though.
Score
August 16, 2012 5:34:59 PM

hapkido said:
So it was the IDE/ACHI thing...

Big ups for getting your machine running again, though.

Yea it was. Except it wouldnt even boot regularly. I barely got it into safemode to snatch the files off of it. Glad I could do that.
Score
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 8:12:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Arthurh
Score
!