Sign in with
Your question

My PC crashes during games!

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
March 17, 2010 3:50:40 PM

Hi everyone,

Well, first it crashed (blue screen followed by restart) while playing BF:bad company 2 (could happen after 5 seconds could be 2 hours). I assumed the game might be a bit too much for my system as it was running sluggishly, so I got COD 4: MW. Of course, it crashed during that game, too. It used to crash during normal usage (surfing web etc.) until I got a new hard drive. Now it only crashes during games (hooray).
My specs are as follows:
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
EP43-DS3L
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 2.66GHz
2GB RAM
Radeon 4670 2GB

Is there anything specifically problematic with my hardware? What should I do??

Thanks!

More about : crashes games

March 17, 2010 4:40:28 PM

Might be worth getting something like Core Temp to watch your CPU temps and see if its getting a little too hot. Maybe use GPU-z and watch your GPU temps too. Some of those types of things can cause crashes. Could also try underclocking your GPU and Video RAM as well to see if that clears up the issues. Things to try, no sure fixes:-)
m
l
March 17, 2010 4:57:38 PM

What PSU are using? If you could give make and model as well as the rated wattage :)  As well as overheating, your problem could be down to insufficient power.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
March 17, 2010 6:00:18 PM

Hmm, I'm a bit of a noob to all this I might need a step by step :ange: 

My PSU seems to be Gigabyte GE-C420N-C2. I'm guessing 420 is the wattage?

What's next?

thanks for the help guys :) 
m
l
March 17, 2010 6:25:12 PM

Yeah, its a 420W PSU. Seems like it ought to be enough (can't really find many details on that particular PSU, and I dont think Gigabyte is really much of a PSU brand, so I'd be wary of it, but really should be whats causing it. You check your temps yet?
m
l
March 17, 2010 6:54:44 PM

Your graphics card requires a minimum400W or greater PSU. So you're pretty much on the boundary to begin with. On top of this, as flyinfinni mentioned, Gigabyte aren't renowned for the PSUs and many poor quality PSUs don't actually deliver their full rated wattage in everyday use.

Check your temps first, but if they seem ok then my money's on the PSU.
m
l
March 17, 2010 7:00:26 PM

Moody- just as a point of interest- even though it says "min of 400W PSU" that is actually quite a bit more than it REALLY needs. IF you go out and look up how much power the 4670 uses, its actually pretty remarkably low (up until the 5xxx series it was considered ridiculously low for its performance). Grand total of 139 W system power at load from Anand's review
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3405&p=9
(granted if you fully load your CPU with that it'll jump a bit more, but only maybe to a little over 200W). Not the same setup as the OP is using, but still, really ought to have enough power unless the supply has really deteriorated from its original state.
m
l
Anonymous
March 17, 2010 9:33:20 PM

flyinfinni said:
You check your temps yet?

Again, sorry for being an amateur, but I'm supposed to check them while playing a game, right? And what would be within the normal temp range for the CPU and GPU?
m
l
March 17, 2010 9:40:23 PM

Yes- check WHILE gaming. GPU should be pretty safe anywhere below 80ish C and the CPU should be below 70ish C (they can run higher than that, but I really really don't like to go over that).
m
l
Anonymous
March 17, 2010 10:15:59 PM

flyinfinni said:
Yes- check WHILE gaming. GPU should be pretty safe anywhere below 80ish C and the CPU should be below 70ish C (they can run higher than that, but I really really don't like to go over that).

Ok, here's what I got,
CPU: Max 59C
GPU: Max 34C

does that make sense? Isn't that really cold for the GPU?.. I made sure it's displaying the max temp and not average or current.
m
l
March 17, 2010 10:38:27 PM

No- not necessarily cold for the GPU. Its not as high as I would expect, but its not really a high-powered, super hot card.
Both of those look totally acceptable though, so thats good, but doesn't really help us much in figuring out what IS causing the problem.
I would start leaning toward a problematic GPU or a PSU issue, but seems kinda strange.
m
l
March 18, 2010 2:37:47 AM

They make a 4670 with 2GBs of ram???

I'd probably take another look at the PSU. 420 is more then enough power, but if its dirty power then it can cause problems. 60c for the CPU is a bit much as well, do the C2D series employ thermal throttling like the P4s did? Might be doing that to keep it at 60.
m
l
March 18, 2010 2:48:30 AM

Maybe it's your Ram. Run memtest with each stick.
m
l
Anonymous
March 18, 2010 5:16:19 AM

Ok i'll be running memtest later today after work and let you know..

Any other suggestions guys?
m
l
Anonymous
March 18, 2010 11:16:48 AM

Memtest showed no errors.

Is there any way of testing that the PSU and/or CPU are working properly?
Or are there other things that need to be ruled out?

Help :cry: 
m
l
March 18, 2010 1:06:08 PM

Many things could be wrong, power uspply rail vail amp to weak. Not enough ram for the graphic settings you might be using, your motherboard is crap. Give specifics and we can help you better. i know my self every 2 years I fork out about 1200 bucks on a brand new middle high end system. I always use evga moboard and graphics card. Thermaltake PSu and ram well it depends whats good, and raptor hd's. If oyu want to play fps you need to spend some money. Know one want to play a game that is supposed to look awsome and it looks like the xbox 360....lol
m
l
March 18, 2010 1:14:56 PM

i saw your system specs sorry about my crap post. It sems to me you may have motherboard issues, try to update bios and if that dosent work rma it, or go on new egg and by something else. Usually when a psu dosnt work right it dosnt work at all. So im guessing ram, video, or motherboard. Do a ram diag check you can download them on toms im sure, do a hd diag check. then check your cpu temps. Youl find out what it is and TOMs got it all.
m
l
March 18, 2010 1:18:47 PM

You should test each stick one at a time, and for 6-8hours. Try running memtest again.
m
l
March 18, 2010 3:53:28 PM

At 60C, the CPU should ahve no problems. People run those Core2Quads OCed at MUCH MUCH higher temps than that with no problems, so I SERIOUSLY doubt that theres anything wrong with the CPU. Could be a Mobo issue, but really hard to verify that, especially when its only crapping out in 3d games. Sounds more like a PSU issue where things start crapping out at higher loads.
I guess one way to test that would be to download Prime95 and Furmark, and run them both and just crank your CPU and GPU utilization up and see if it causes it to crash. You should probably also run each of them separately because that could narrow the problem down to one part or the other.
m
l
Anonymous
March 18, 2010 9:38:13 PM

Ok guys I have something, after running memtest for over 6 hrs while I wasn't on the PC it said it found 2 errors and then I got this message:

Are there normal errors during ram testing or could this be it?

thanks again everyone.
m
l
March 18, 2010 9:41:31 PM

That could be it. I've never gotten errors in RAM with memtest unless I actually had a memory problem. Also- if it took that long to get to those errors, it helps explain why you get the random, inconsistent crashes.
m
l
Anonymous
March 18, 2010 10:02:24 PM

Ok, gonna get some new RAM tomorrow and give that a go. It's pretty cheap today so what the hell :) 

Can't thank you people enough. Good karma to you lot :D 
m
l
March 18, 2010 10:06:25 PM

No problem. Let us know if that solves your problems :-)
m
l
March 18, 2010 10:50:38 PM

Curious... What brand is your Ram?
m
l
March 18, 2010 11:06:33 PM

Might also want to check your settings before sending it off. If your ram is 5-5-5-18 @ 2.0v and your trying to run it at 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v that could be your problem. Look up your ram and figure out what settings its supposed to be using, then verify that's what your using.
m
l
Anonymous
March 19, 2010 10:59:50 AM

boljack said:
Curious... What brand is your Ram?

I couldn't find a brand name on that thing actually... All I found was 1GB DDR2 PC800.

Quote:
Might also want to check your settings before sending it off. If your ram is 5-5-5-18 @ 2.0v and your trying to run it at 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v that could be your problem. Look up your ram and figure out what settings its supposed to be using, then verify that's what your using.

Hmm, I think I found my current settings after running CPU-Z:

Unfortunately all I know about my RAM is what I said above, and I can't find the right settings for that.

Do you think this could be the cause or should I just go ahead and replace the two sticks?
m
l
March 19, 2010 1:11:08 PM

Its not what CPUz reports your memory running at, its what the manufacturers said you should be running it at. You are currently running at DDR2-800 with 6-6-6-18 timings and a voltage of 1.8. The question is what did your manufacturer say to run the ram at?
m
l
March 19, 2010 2:16:54 PM

I guess it would be difficult to figure out what the manufacturer specs are for the RAM when the OP can't figure out who the manufacturer is, or anything else about the ram.

OP- could you take a couple pics and show us what your RAM looks like? Maybe one of us could identify it for you.
m
l
!