Power Connector Question for GX 280

jyoungxxxx

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I have a 650w OCZ power supply that has 1 6pin connector and 1 8pin connector ON THE SAME TIED CABLE! DO I USE 1 TIED CABLE WITH BOTH OF THE 6PIN AND 8PIN TOGETHER OR THE 6PIN ON ONE OF THE OTHER TIED CABLES AND THE 8PIN ON THE OTHER TIED CABLE FOR THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF VOLTAGE GOING TO THE CARD OR DOES IT HAVE ENOUGH VOLTAGE ON THE ONE TIED CABLE WITH BOTH CONNECTORS?

I tried like hell to get that point across the best way possible because nobody thought to point this out in the instructions or anywhere. It is a concern because if I use 2 cables - with both of the 8 pin and 6 pin on them - connecting just 1 8pin from 1 cable and 1 6pin from the other cables, I might add too much voltage to the card if it isn't intended to be this way!

There is no such thing as to much voltage unless your PSU is broken. The best way of ensuring that your card gets enough power (wattage) is to use 1 plug from each cable specially when you have a multiple + 12volt rail PSU. If you have a single rail PSU it does not matter as much since they whole amperage is available to each cable. Power (watts)= amps x volts!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS