Upgrade to Intel or wait for new AMD?

mogen1000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I have an amd based pc with a gtx 680. My 1055t is kinda wearing out after overclocking failures and jsut a bunch of stuff. Should i upgrade to a ivy bridge 3570k? Although i do some after effects and photoshop should i get 3770k? Or save a bit more for a Nikon D7000 DSLR? :D

Do you think that a new cpu from amd is coming out soon? Some new thing thats like 40% faster than the FX8xxx series

ram1009

Distinguished

Apparently you missed the memo, or announcement in this case. AMD announced some time ago that they will no longer compete with Intel for desktop superiority. I may have paraphrased that slightly but as far as I'm concerned it means I will be building with Intel in the future. If price is more important to you than performance you might get buy with AMDs' new APUs but I doubt it will pencil out for anything but a web browser computer.

most of the advantage i believe when it comes to comparing the intel and amd side of things is that intels newer line up does better in gaming then the amd bulldozer FX chips. with that aside, the performance gap between the two chips on a non gaming level is much smaller than it is on a gaming level. the next Piledriver FX chips(some time in october) hopefully alleviates a good portion of that gap as its the most cost effective way for anyone with an AM3+ motherboard to switch cpus to something better than what they currently have. Though I don't think there have been benchmarks with the FX version of piledriver yet.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Intel is making more powerful CPU's than AMD, but that doesn't mean you must have intel CPU.

I am keeping an eye on intel MB's and CPU's and may make a move in the next few months. However, the move could cost as much as $500 and I seriously doubt I will see $500 worth of improvment in my applications.

My overclocked 1045t already crunches HD movies in ~real-time. (And I can go surf the web with a gazillion tabs open while its crunching)

Crysis two is butter smooth on ultra-everything. (with two GTX 560's in SLI) And my old SATA II SSD boots into windows stupid-fast.

In a few months we will see how pile driver performs. If it's a decent improvement, I will hold off until the "latest and gratest" premium falls off and get a pile driver CPU as it will probably be the last cpu available for the AM3+.

If Pile Driver is really bad, then I will probably just jump to intel if/when I see a good sandy-bridge deal.

Otherwise, it will probably take some event similar to what happened with my old single core rig the first time I tried to render an HD movie and it told me it would take 3 months to render a 30-minute movie.

That's when I decided a new computer was in order.