Solved

Upgrading an intergrated graphics card

Where my fiance works he can get what he said is a Dell Inspiron 531 (I may have miss heard him or he may not of read it correctly because he was in a hurry) for really cheap.

He said that it has 3GB of RAM and 500GB of HDD.

HOWEVER, he said it has a Geforce 6150 se integrated graphics card and I know that integrated graphics cards aren't that great. So what I'm wondering is if we'll be able to upgrade it to something better (preferably not integrated) and what kind of options we'll have.

Edit: He says it has a PCI Express E_x16 slot.
2.8ghz AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 5600+

Thanks.

(We both game (mainly MMOs) and I do digital art.)
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading intergrated graphics card
  1. Best answer
    It looks like those models have at least one PCIe slot for a graphics card, so you should have plenty of options.

Based on this link:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&lob=DIM&MODEL_DESC=Inspiron%20531&s=dfh

There were several video card options. Most any current video card should work, as long as it can physically fit inside and you have drivers for it.

EDIT: rolli picked a good choice based on the power supply.
  2. Thank you for both of your replies.

Are we going to be able to get something that can play games at a decent setting (not with everything on low)?
  3. If that is the correct model number then changing the PSU and putting in a better card is an option.
  4. He says it has a PCI Express E_x16 slot.

Edit: 2.8ghz AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 5600+
  5. With a good quality PSU of 450watts you can go to cards like HD4850, HD5750/70 or GTS250
  6. How can we find out exactly what kind of PSU it has?
  7. LaurynTheHylian said:
    How can we find out exactly what kind of PSU it has?

If you open up the case there is a sticker on the PSU with the rating but most Dell's have a 300watt psu std.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dell Inspiron Graphics