Sign in with
Your question

HELP Powering graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2010 9:57:34 PM

I have an EVGA nforce 680I motherboard and in the manual http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/122-CK-NF63.p... it says(on page 70 to be exact) there's a third power connection on the board where a molex is connected and it says "The power3 connector is an auxiliary power connection for graphics cards. Exclusive power for the graphics card provides better graphics performance." I just received my new HIS Radeon HD5750 and it has a 6 pin connector on it. When I hook up the 6 pin connector from the psu do I need to unplug that aux power on the board?

More about : powering graphics card

January 6, 2010 10:18:14 PM

I'm not sure, and I've often wondered this myself, but it won't hurt it by having it plugged in
January 6, 2010 10:20:08 PM

I'm afraid that if it is plugged in then its sending excessive voltage to the card.
January 6, 2010 10:31:40 PM

Think i found my answer. "EVGA said to use the 4-pin conn in SLI configurations and above (physics+sli). The 4-pin connector provides power to the PCI-E bus but not to the cards. Helps with stability with oc'ing. There's no chance of overvolting a powered card by using the conenctor too." So since I'm not running sli I'll unplug it.
!