theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I have a problem with overclocking my AMD Athlon 5000+ black edition. Whenever i change my multiplier, pc freezez on windows loading screen or i get a blue screen after loading windows and pc reboots.
MOBO: Asus m2n-e
What is causing this?

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Yes. ANY change to the multiplier makes my system get a blue screen upon finishing the windows loading.
Currently i changed my ram to 2t and ddr2 at 800 and fsb to 220 and it works. But, like i said, i can't touch the multiplier....

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I know some chips OC better than others but I have not heard of one that's stable at stock settings and BSOD at the slightest speed increase.

I guess you could try a single voltage bump and then see if it boots. (Just make sure you stay under the max vcore rating for your chip.

I did a quick search and saw numbers from 1.35v to 1.45v. (Someone even mentioned accidentally running 1.55 for a period of time with no damage)

Maybe someone can chime in with definitive info.

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I tried toms hardware settings from the article in which they made 3.2ghz on 16x multiplier and 1.4v. But the problem remains... Doesn't anyone know what could be the problem?
I think it has something to do with the mobo because i didn't have this problem on my old mobo which burned cause of a damaged ddr2 ram...
What can i do/install to my mobo to try and fix it?

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I changed the FSB of my grand-daughters 5000+ to 232 = 3.01GHz. I also changed HT from AUTO or 1000 to 800 because when you raise the FSB you also OC the HT. There should be 2 separate HT in BIOS. Set them both to 800.

I had to set her Vc to 1.350 for stability.

When you have a Black Edition CPU that you cannot change the multiplier at all you have something failing hardware wise. It could be either the CPU itself got damaged from the previous failure, ( i didn't have this problem on my old mobo which burned cause of a damaged ddr2 ram...), sometimes unfortunately when a motherboard slot fries, it takes more than just itself with it.

Motherboard malfunctions are hard to diagnose they mimic CPU and memory failures and it could be defective circuit paths, if you had a friend with the same platform you could swap the CPU to see if it is OK, if not your only options are to set the RAM timings to bulletproof settings and try adjusting the multiplier again.

It's hard to help you there, since you have not even mentioned what memory you're running, brand, model#, timings, voltage etc., we can help but we're not mind readers.

Your memory needs to be tested with Memtest86+ to see if it's throwing errors itself, the memory has to be 100% dependable to be raising the multiplier in the first place.

Additionally what power supply are you running?, does it have the uumph, to handle overclocking in the first place, many power supplies are barely supporting a stock load, and overclocking pushes them over the edge.

That's why when you need help the first thing you should post is a full listing of your specs in detail.