I think my HDD failed - need help

acturater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi,

So my data HDD (Seagate Barracuda 750GB non-OS) failed and I'd like to recover the data on it if possible. I tried it on two different systems, one on an Asus Sabertooth x79 mobo and the other an evga nforce 680i. On both machines the symptoms are similar: the bios takes very long to load up, then either windows also takes very long to load, or gets stuck on the logo screen. Once inside windows, the HDD is not recognized either.

When I remove the data HDD, everything is back to normal including boot times.

Is there any way to recover this HDD?

Thanks in advance for any help.

acturater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I think I failed to mention that the HDD is not recognized in my bios on either machine. Should I still try the ubuntu solution?

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
This happened to me only once. My HDD wasn't recognized in BIOS/Disk Management and still it showed in Ubuntu. So if nothing else works and if Data is important to you, no harm in giving that a try :) , upto you!!

acturater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

No, definitely not! I could sell a kidney to get this data back, it's about 2 decades worth of music and a decade worth of pictures, videos, and documents. Before you ask, I'll just say carbonite dropped the ball big time but that's a different story. I'm about 50% downloading Ubuntu as we speak, I will give it a spin and report back. Thanks again.

acturater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

So, question. I am now running Ubuntu off of a CD with only the problem HDD attached. Where would I go to see if I can access the files? I've browsed around quite a bit but cannot seem to locate it. Maybe that's a sign...

acturater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

It doesn't seem like Ubuntu recognizes it either. bummer... I tried the "install Ubuntu" button just to verify and it says I don't have the 4.4GB to install on my 750GB hdd.

Good news is this is a very well known problem with my model and hopefully Seagate will recover the drive and data for me at no charge.

Thanks again.

acturater

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

So i got a phonecAll from seagate claiming it was a circuit issue rather than a firmware issue and therefore they would have to charge me the full data recovery fee. I bought 2 of these drives, and they both failed after 1 and 3 years, respectively. I lost a large chunk of everything i saved in the last decade, including pictures videos music and documents.

I am done buying from seagate and will probably advise my friends and family likewise who come to me for pc advice.