Z77 , unlocked cpu's, cooling and performance

cristi77

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
Hello,

for what i understood, the mobos with z77 can and will automatically adjust the cpu frequency of the unlocked processors if you set up the mobo to get the max frequency.

the chipset will get this frequency according to how cool the proc will be in the process.

as a conclusion the coolest you can get, the higher frequency you get from the mobo to set the processor

someone confirm this idea please ( or not if im wrong)
thank you

Solution

Oh, ok. You're talking about an Auto OC. Those are frowned upon around here (and especially by ME). Auto OC's are evil, lol.

In any case, that doesn't really have a lot to do with the temps, either. Again, it's part of it, but it'll still try to give you an OC that your cooler can't...
Well, that's an interesting interpretation.

You're talking about Turbo Boost (I think), and temps are part of it, yes, but that will honestly NEVER come into play (in any normal circumstance. I've never seen it happen in my own experience with my 2500K).

So basically, no, keeping it cooler doesn't really mean higher frequencies. It'll go as high as possible in almost ALL instances. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't TRY to keep it cool, though.

Now, when/if you OC, you may start to hit the throttle barrier, if you push it too hard, but that's ~100C (for an Ivy Bridge CPU).

In summation, you only really need to worry about temps when you OC. It'll perform perfectly well, otherwise.

cristi77

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012

i once read in a forum about a guy why built an amd system with unlocked fx and a asus mobo. he said , and now i remembered that he run an automated button on that asus mobo and the mobo set that fx proc to a frequency over the stated freq, 3450 or something for a 3.2, but was not the guy who set the oc freq , but the program in that mobo.

maybe i interpreted wrong , but that is what he said, and i thought the z77 and k processors would do the same

Oh, ok. You're talking about an Auto OC. Those are frowned upon around here (and especially by ME). Auto OC's are evil, lol.

In any case, that doesn't really have a lot to do with the temps, either. Again, it's part of it, but it'll still try to give you an OC that your cooler can't really handle sometimes. It's not an exact science (EVERY CPU is different), and that's why Auto OC's are complete crap.

It's ALWAYS better to OC manually through the BIOS. That way, you KNOW exactly what you're getting because YOU set it that way and you're not relying on some crap Auto OC.

Additionally, Auto OC's will ALWAYS overshoot the voltage that it thinks that your CPU needs, compounding the temp problems. Evil...

Solution

shmokeh

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
Ive recently brought a Z77 with an i5 3570k, with the turbo boost and auto AC on I got a nice result although ive got aftermarket cooling. The speeds wernt great (managed to auto OC to 4.1ghz) and it remained between 30-40c with alot of headroom but wouldnt push it any further even though the aftermarker cooler wasnt being used to its full potential, but I found my rig to be almost silent and power consumption dropped dramatically when the cpu wasnt in full use.
Ive manually OCd it to 4.5ghz, it never reaches above 50c however its no longer silent and consumes more power even when idle, all depends on what you want out of the cpu I suppose