Regarding SMPS & Case Fit(Sonata 3)

Hi I am building a rig. :-

Processor - Intel Core i7 860
Motherboard - Intel DP 55 KG
RAM - Corsair DOMINATOR DDR3 6GB or 8GB Kit.
Graphics Card - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 Standard Edition
Hard Disk - Seagate 7200.11 Sata 1TB(32 MB Buffer)
CD/DVD Drive - HP DVD 1260i
Sound Card - Asus Xonar D2X
+ A internal TV Tuner Card

Cabinet - Antec Sonata 3 with 500W Earthwatts
SMPS - Tagan BZ 900w

I have 3 Questions. Please help me.

1. Will the PSU supplied with the case be enough for the rig? How to calculate PSU I need?

2. Will the Graphics Card XFX 5850 Fit in the case? & without any heating issues?(Provided I have to put the sound card & a TV Tuner Card too in the slots.

3. Is a Hard drive fan really necessary in this case?
1 answer Last reply
More about regarding smps case sonata
  1. The answer to your first question is yes.

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

The answer to your second question is yes. The XFX Radeon HD 5850 video card is only 9.5 inches long. That is the same dimension as the width of a standard atx motherboard. No problem.

The answe to your third question is also yes. It would help improve case ventilation, airflow, and cooling. By hard drive fan I assume you are referring to installing a 120mm case in the bottom front of the pc case which is optional. The bottom front to top rear airflow is the classic configuration for cooling.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components