Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Accidentally dropped power supply unit

Last response: in Components
March 17, 2010 6:31:19 PM

Hello, I accidentally dropped my PSU. What do you think happen? Is PSU tough or easy to get broken? Thanks.
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 17, 2010 6:37:53 PM

There is only one way to find out.
March 17, 2010 6:47:05 PM

lol,yeah its hard to tell,if you drop it hard enough it could possibly break a solder joint or damage something else.but like JohnnyLucky said theres only one way to tell,hook it up and youll get your answer
Related resources
March 17, 2010 6:48:05 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
There is only one way to find out.

which is taking the risk of just using it?
March 17, 2010 6:56:07 PM

jimb0b said:
lol,yeah its hard to tell,if you drop it hard enough it could possibly break a solder joint or damage something else.but like JohnnyLucky said theres only one way to tell,hook it up and youll get your answer

btw i forgot to mention if the case is slightly bend, well if that is the only way, i will see how it goes and share it back here in the next 12 hours or so.. thanks.
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2010 6:56:52 PM

I'd pop it in and give it a go. Chances are if anything is damaged then it won't work at all. Good luck!
March 17, 2010 7:01:04 PM

moody89 said:
I'd pop it in and give it a go. Chances are if anything is damaged then it won't work at all. Good luck!

I'd prefer if it is totally dead and won't work at all. I'm afraid it would fry my other CPU parts if it is still running with some problems, I really don't want to fry my new PC. Thanks anyway, will share it here once the installation is done.
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2010 7:09:11 PM

Plug it in and see if anything bad happens. If it doesn't work, they you may be able to RMA it and claim it was damaged during shipping or something
March 17, 2010 7:18:07 PM

megamanx00 said:
Plug it in and see if anything bad happens. If it doesn't work, they you may be able to RMA it and claim it was damaged during shipping or something

Will do. Thanks.

Best solution

March 19, 2010 6:36:01 AM
March 19, 2010 6:22:45 PM

Best answer selected by moshpit7.
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 19, 2010 7:17:25 PM

There's several things wrong with paperclip trick. First there's no load on the PSU. It can pass this and still fail when connected to the system. All you really know is that there's enough power to work a fan. You do not know if any of the main power lines are in tolerance or not. And it does not check the "PowerOK" signal on the gray wire. Without this signal, the PC will not boot.

On the other hand, if the fan does not spin up, the PSU is dead.
!