Solved

Accidentally dropped power supply unit

Hello, I accidentally dropped my PSU. What do you think happen? Is PSU tough or easy to get broken? Thanks.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about accidentally dropped power supply unit
  1. There is only one way to find out.
  2. lol,yeah its hard to tell,if you drop it hard enough it could possibly break a solder joint or damage something else.but like JohnnyLucky said theres only one way to tell,hook it up and youll get your answer
  3. JohnnyLucky said:
    There is only one way to find out.


    which is taking the risk of just using it?
  4. jimb0b said:
    lol,yeah its hard to tell,if you drop it hard enough it could possibly break a solder joint or damage something else.but like JohnnyLucky said theres only one way to tell,hook it up and youll get your answer


    btw i forgot to mention if the case is slightly bend, well if that is the only way, i will see how it goes and share it back here in the next 12 hours or so.. thanks.
  5. I'd pop it in and give it a go. Chances are if anything is damaged then it won't work at all. Good luck!
  6. moody89 said:
    I'd pop it in and give it a go. Chances are if anything is damaged then it won't work at all. Good luck!


    I'd prefer if it is totally dead and won't work at all. I'm afraid it would fry my other CPU parts if it is still running with some problems, I really don't want to fry my new PC. Thanks anyway, will share it here once the installation is done.
  7. Plug it in and see if anything bad happens. If it doesn't work, they you may be able to RMA it and claim it was damaged during shipping or something
  8. megamanx00 said:
    Plug it in and see if anything bad happens. If it doesn't work, they you may be able to RMA it and claim it was damaged during shipping or something


    Will do. Thanks.
  9. Best answer
  10. marcovelo said:


    nice one! I just wish I saw it earlier, btw it's up and running, nothing's wrong with the psu so far. So I was either lucky or the PSU is really tough.

    Thanks for everyone who replied on this thread :)
  11. Best answer selected by moshpit7.
  12. There's several things wrong with paperclip trick. First there's no load on the PSU. It can pass this and still fail when connected to the system. All you really know is that there's enough power to work a fan. You do not know if any of the main power lines are in tolerance or not. And it does not check the "PowerOK" signal on the gray wire. Without this signal, the PC will not boot.

    On the other hand, if the fan does not spin up, the PSU is dead.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components