Accidentally dropped power supply unit

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
lol,yeah its hard to tell,if you drop it hard enough it could possibly break a solder joint or damage something else.but like JohnnyLucky said theres only one way to tell,hook it up and youll get your answer

moshpit7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

btw i forgot to mention if the case is slightly bend, well if that is the only way, i will see how it goes and share it back here in the next 12 hours or so.. thanks.

moshpit7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

I'd prefer if it is totally dead and won't work at all. I'm afraid it would fry my other CPU parts if it is still running with some problems, I really don't want to fry my new PC. Thanks anyway, will share it here once the installation is done.

moshpit7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

Will do. Thanks.

There's several things wrong with paperclip trick. First there's no load on the PSU. It can pass this and still fail when connected to the system. All you really know is that there's enough power to work a fan. You do not know if any of the main power lines are in tolerance or not. And it does not check the "PowerOK" signal on the gray wire. Without this signal, the PC will not boot.

On the other hand, if the fan does not spin up, the PSU is dead.