Sign in with
Your question

File Transfer Win XP to Won 7

Last response: in Networking
December 25, 2009 2:18:43 PM

What is the easiest way to transfer video files from a XP CPU to a new Win 7 Laptop?

More about : file transfer win

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2009 3:52:09 PM

If large files, DVD -- smaller, memory stick.

Otherwise you could try networking them. Basically you need crossover ethernet cable -- or router -- and to enable file sharing on the relevant folders, turn off all firewalls, note the names of the computers as shown in Control Panel, System, and run the Networking Wizard.
m
l
January 4, 2010 1:08:37 AM

Thanks---I have about 68 gigabytes of video files--been trying to use existing router--sharing OK etc but having a problem with WIN 7--haven't found anything I transferred to the new laptop because don't know enough about "libraries" etc.--I'll stick with it until I get it done. At 85 years young I go way back to DOS--only had WIN 7 a week.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2010 2:48:14 AM

Drag and drop a file to your win7 desktop from the XP machine over the network, see if it's working or not.
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 11:24:40 AM

"don't know enough about "libraries" etc."

Libraries ?

Does that mean Win7 has adopted even more Mac terminology. Back when we started there were files and directories, then folders -- which are just directories, of course.

Then bleedin "Libraries" appeared in things like iTunes. WTF is a Library -- is it a directory, a shortcut (sorry alias) or what ?
m
l
!