FX 4100 Overclocking Help

Mcdoom

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hey everyone, I need a little help overclocking my FX 4100. Before I had an aftermarket cooler I was able to overclock this chip to 4Ghz with an under voltage @ 1.3V. Since getting my hyper 212 EVO I am unable to get stability at 4.5GHz even with the voltage boosted up to 1.5V. Prime 95 fails on at least one of the cores within minutes. Is there something I am missing? I have heard people easily hitting 4.5 GHZ with this chip and commonly passing it. I have all the "green" settings in my bios disabled, and other than that all I have messed with is the voltage and multiplier. Did I get unlucky and get a lame chip? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Edit: I don't believe temperature is the issue because at 4.5 GHz i was idle at 29 C and under load it didn't get hotter than 40C before Prime95 failure.

Specs:
Mobo: Asus M5A97
PSU: Antec BP 550W
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1333
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I topped out at 4.4 on the 4100 I overclocked.

More voltage helps, but sometimes you "hit the wall" well before you hit max voltage. (And then more voltage just makes things hotter.)

(I did have to adjust LLC to get from 4.2 to 4.4 because of v-droop)

kochanchu1994

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Is not recommended to use overclocking overclocking although the computer's potential performance is improved, but the life of the hardware is relatively lower, then fix might burn something.
hardware.gif

Mcdoom

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Thanks Z1N, Could you explain what you did to your LLC to counter vdroop?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I moved it from "auto" to "high" IIRC.

There should be a range of settings from low to crazy high, but the names for each level will probably vary from board to board.

I looked atthe spectrum and picked 3 spots down from ultra-super-duper or whatever and got what I needed on the first guess.

The problem with setting too high is that it can overcompensate and spike your voltage too high. So if you need to alter LLC, start with your best guess and then test with applications from easy to full load, and watch CPU-z to see what your voltage does.