X79 AsRock Extreme9 Marvell SE9172 4x RAID0?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I'm looking for a X79 motherboard that's going to allow for a 4x SSD RAID0 bootable array.

I see the Extreme9 offers up to 4x SATA 6Gb/s in RAID0, but it's offered via 2x Marvell SE9172 controllers. Will spanning controllers in this fashion be a problem, and does anyone know if the Marvell drivers can be installed before Windows so it can be used as a boot array.

If not, is there a X79 board that will support 4x SATA 6Gb/s RAID0 with boot capabilities.

Last but not least, if there is no onboard solution is there a decent sub-200 discrete option?

Thankyou for any consideration and help.

The ASRock X79 Extreme9 has "4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Marvell SE9172, support RAID (RAID 0 and RAID 1)" - http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=X79%20Extreme9&cat=Specifications However, I question them as being 'bootable' ; see -> http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/02/09/asrock_x79_extreme9_lga_2011_motherboard_review/3 Read the Marvell SE9172 + Intel caveats.

Quote "In that regard it’s just like the 9172 controllers. The difference is the 9172’s can be used as bootable controllers outside the OS provided that the Intel controller is in legacy IDE mode or AHCI mode only."

HFO

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I am using ASRock extremet 9.

It really has multiple SATA controllers.

But only 2 disks RAID0 or 1 are offered by Marvell9172 controllers.

upto 2 RAIDs with 2 Marvell controllers each containing 2 disks are avaliable..

6 disk RAIDs are offered by intel rapid storage contrller of X79 chipset.

Marvell controllers are selectively bootable.

However, booting from intel controller is recommended because booting with Marvell controllers require additional time.

I have different question.

I am suffering from MATLAB file errors after copying from RAID0 to RAID0 sets.

about one among 10~30 large files ( 0.5~several GBs) are suffering from file load errors aftering RAID to RAID copying.

Does anyone know the cause of this ?

Some disks are WDs and the others are Barracudas upto date 6GB/s 3TBs.