Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2 Yr Old Homebuilt not powering up

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 12, 2010 10:33:32 AM

I built a new desktop about 2 years ago. Recently I put the computer into sleep mode and then switched off the power supply switch to "off" on the back of the computer, something I have done quite a few times before w/o problem. After a few hours I flipped the power switch to "on" and tried to turn on the computer but nothing happens. The red light on the motherboard that usually comes on when the computer is getting power is not lit either. Do you think this could be a power supply gone bad? Any other things I can check /do before switching out the power supply?

Specs: Antec Nine Hundred gaming case, Intel q6600 Quad 2.4 Ghz processor, 768MB DDR3 MSI Nvidia 8800 GTX, 750 GB Seagate 7,200 RPM, 150 GB WD Raptor 10,000 RPM, LITE-ON 20x DVD burner w/Light Scribe, Corsair 520 W power supply running Windows Vista Ultimate.

More about : homebuilt powering

January 12, 2010 11:28:20 AM

Has the fan on the PSU working? If no then this means your psu is broken.
m
0
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2010 11:34:16 AM

If nothing comes on, the PSU is definitely dead. Did you make sure you didn't accidently knock the power cord off? Other than that, there isn't a whole lot you can do if nothing turns on...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2010 3:55:16 PM

Sounds like about a 99% chance the power supply is dead and a 1% chance there's something wrong with the power switch itself on your case (or the wires that connect it).

I'd see if you can start the machine by shorting the two power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver; if that works, it's a bad power switch. Otherwise, you're almost certainly looking at a power supply problem.
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 8:48:43 PM

Okay, thanks for the replies. I bought a new PSU from Best Buy to test if it was the PSU. When I installed the new PSU and the 24 pin and 4 pin power cords to the motherboard the red indicator light on the motherboard still does not come on. This red light is indicated in the manual as the light that "lights up when the power supply is connected with the power source". Is it possible when turning the PSU switch on and off while the computer is in standby mode it did something to the motherboard?

My motherboard is an Abit IP35V. Also, I don't know if it is related but when I would turn power switch off and then on again (in standby or in shutdown mode) when I power the computer on the motherboard would sound a long constant beep until I shut the computer off and then turned it on again. When turning the computer on the second time the beep did not sound and the computer starts up normally.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2010 11:07:30 PM

The long beep sound is usually associated with the memory slots on the board. In terms of memory (not necessarily the cause of your problem), it could mean either the stick(s) or the slot(s) may have gone bad.

If you haven't already done so, try removing everything (yes, everything) connected to the motherboard.

Start your diagnosis by connecting just the power supply. Do you see the red light come back on?

If no, you may have shorted the motherboard by the constant switch flicking.

If yes, continue by adding one memory stick at a time. Does the light remain on when more than one stick is installed? With all (if more than two) sticks?

If no, one of the sticks may have gone bad.

If yes, add on the hard drive.

If by now the computer is powering on, then just continue to add peripherals until either the computer doesn't power up, which then you will have likely found the hardware failure, or when everything has been reinstalled/connected and the computer function has returned to normal.
Share
January 14, 2010 4:04:47 PM

Thanks for all the good replies. I followed T_T's advice and found the problem to be the front USB connection. When I plug it into the motherboard on the USB1 area the red light to the motherboard does not come on even when connected to power. The one of the front USB ports was damaged and must be shorting out the board. After reinstalling everything but the USB connection it powers up okay and runs Windows Vista.

One thing I've noticed on the first start up since taking everything off the motherboard but the CPU and CPU heatsink is that on the post screen I get a message saying "CPU is unworkable or has been changed - CPU soft menu", but like I stated, the computer runs fine. Is this a message worth worrying about?
m
0
l
!