Solved

Dual and quad again amd 550 vs 620

I have been reading alot on the subject but just wanted to get some personal feedback.
Looking at either buying the phenom ll x2 550
or the athlon x4 620
either way im going to put it into a ASRock M3A770DE Socket AM3/ AMD 770/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard


did a quick comparison here seems the 550 beats the 620 most of the time.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=97&p2=106&c=1&i=2.3.4.5.6.25.26.27.28.29.30.31.32.33.34.35.36.37.38.39.40.41.42.43.44.45.46.47.48.49.50.53.54.55.56.57.58.59.60.61.62

Only time the x4 comes out on top is for 3d and hd. I dont understand most of these tests but what I do get makes me sway for the x4 550 because I plan to use this pc mainly for gameing.

Redundent question? or is one really better
thanks for the feedback
36 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual quad
  1. lol would make a great comprimise right?
    I was looking at the phenom x3 as an option but the slower clock speed and higher price scared me away
    the anthlon x3 isnt offerd from buyer I am looking at.
    Found someone that will sell me the mobo and either of those processors installed for aroud $225 with 1 step up from the stock fan.
    I like the athlon x3 but dont really want to have to install on the mobo.
    I do virus removal and componet upgrading for a living but have not ventured into mobo and cpu upgradeing just yet.
  2. Best answer
    I would go for the 550 then. I have one in my PC and it runs great.
  3. I'd get the Athlon II x3 440.

    But If i had to choose from one of them then I'll say a x4 620 will be better.

    Since 550 is only a dual core so maybe a 620 will last longer since it has 2 more cores.

    But 550 is a beast Overclocker and you can also unlock 2 cores(Thus making it a quad core) on some mobos.
  4. i'ld go for the 550 x2, you can always unlock its extra cores
  5. Starges said:
    i'ld go for the 550 x2, you can always unlock its extra cores



    Not Always :)
  6. shubham1401 said:
    Not Always :)



    Well, for me it is :D

    Depends on how well you know your systems :lol: :lol:
  7. Like i said, it depends on how well you know your systems. only a person with that info could unlock the cores
  8. Starges said:
    it depends on how well you know your systems.



    Please can you tell me what do you mean by this ?
  9. Starges said:
    Like i said, it depends on how well you know your systems. only a person with that info could unlock the cores


    So you're saying because you "know your systems", your able to unlock and use a defective core?
  10. Yup ZIP ZOOM.. you are right.. That I*** doesnt know that it depends on luck... lol.... Lemme clear one thing... NO manufacturer is mad to sell any quad core by locking its 2 cores and call them dual core... There are some issues with the locked cores... I would say truely get an ATHLON X3 440.... It outplays phenoms 2 X2's in every case. I had 550be.. unlocked cores..full unstable and so i resaled it and got ATHLON X3 440. Upped to 3.2GHZ and it runs like a beast........
  11. chiragsthakur said:
    Yup ZIP ZOOM.. you are right.. That I*** doesnt know that it depends on luck... lol.... Lemme clear one thing... NO manufacturer is mad to sell any quad core by locking its 2 cores and call them dual core... There are some issues with the locked cores... I would say truely get an ATHLON X3 440.... It outplays phenoms 2 X2's in every case. I had 550be.. unlocked cores..full unstable and so i resaled it and got ATHLON X3 440. Upped to 3.2GHZ and it runs like a beast........


    Not always the case - Figure to retool an assembly line can cost millions so by just manufacturing a quad and disabling 2 cores on the chips to fill demand (figure if there are not enough defects in the process to fill the demand fro duals) - can aactually be more profitable for a manufacturer than having a seperate line to produce actual dual cores (esp. when you consider some of those duals may have defects and be unsaleable) - So it does make perfect sense for a company to disable perfectly good cores !!! (and AMD does at times do this - but there will always be those QUad chips that had defects in the mix so you can not quarantee the ability to use all four cores -- Which is why it depends solely on LUCK as to whether you get a fully functional quad core or actually get the dual core you purchased)
  12. Why are you even considering the regular PhII X2 550 or the X2 550 BE over the better, C3-stepping, Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition? It's the best choice out of all the dual-core options.

    The performance and price of the X3 435 and 440 make them very attractive choices. I have a PhII X3 720 BE, and having a 3rd core really increases performance in many applications and games.

    As for quad options, while the X4 620, 630, and 635 CPUs are decent, going all out for either the 955BE or the 965BE would bring serious performance gains, especially if your mobo will go beyond 125W TDP. Just be sure to select the C3-stepping models, of course.
  13. JDFAN.... just for an information sake i am writing the post now...doesnt mean to hurt anybody's feelings...

    Just Think this way..:

    1. You are the manufacturer of a processor.
    2. You make a QUAD core processor..the cost behind manufacturing that single chip is say $.10... Then you find that your two cores are havn less gain..so you decide to disable those cores and then sell that QUAD as DUAL core cpu. But do remember that still the cost behind that chip was $10.. But due to defect you have to sell it for say $5. This shows that to avoid a complete loss you are still selling it for $5 and you feel happy about that you are getn the cost of manufacturing two good cores.
    3. You as a manufacturer wont produce a QUAD chip ($10) and disable its two good cores and sell it for $5, when you know that it has two perfectly working cores disabled. What is the point in selling a $10 product in $5 when you know that it can be unlocked...Would you like to keep your profit amount less than cost of manufacturing?

    Who would buy the real QUAD core eg.$10 ??? people would buy Dual core for $5 with motherboard(ACC) another $5 and get a system at $10.

    Think about it.
  14. Chirag, you're forgetting that the company can incorporate the price of each into the quad's selling price. By that I mean you take into consideration that you'll be selling X % of all quads produced as dual or triple core versions. So, in order to make up the loss, you sell the quads for a substantial profit, therein making up for any and all potential losses incurred during the sale of the dual and triple core versions.

    That, or as JDFan said, re-tool the entire assembly line for the manufacture of a different and completely unique chip... So, given the choice of sacrificing some quads and losing $X million, or spending $Y million to re-tool for a completely different design, which would you choose? Whichever is cheaper... =)
  15. chiragsthakur said:
    JDFAN.... just for an information sake i am writing the post now...doesnt mean to hurt anybody's feelings...

    Just Think this way..:

    1. You are the manufacturer of a processor.
    2. You make a QUAD core processor..the cost behind manufacturing that single chip is say $.10... Then you find that your two cores are havn less gain..so you decide to disable those cores and then sell that QUAD as DUAL core cpu. But do remember that still the cost behind that chip was $10.. But due to defect you have to sell it for say $5. This shows that to avoid a complete loss you are still selling it for $5 and you feel happy about that you are getn the cost of manufacturing two good cores.
    3. You as a manufacturer wont produce a QUAD chip ($10) and disable its two good cores and sell it for $5, when you know that it has two perfectly working cores disabled. What is the point in selling a $10 product in $5 when you know that it can be unlocked...Would you like to keep your profit amount less than cost of manufacturing?

    Who would buy the real QUAD core eg.$10 ??? people would buy Dual core for $5 with motherboard(ACC) another $5 and get a system at $10.

    Think about it.


    Well first off the cost off the CPU chip is quite a bit higher than $10 and second they are not selling the dual and triple cores below that cost point or $5.

    As a simple example lets say a wafer can be cut into 100 CPUs and using your $10 cost would cost $1000 per wafer - but of that 100 there will be say 30% that have errors in either one or 2 of the cores meaning they get 70 working Quad CPUs (actual #'s will vary but keeping it simple) so they figure out the cost of production for those 70 chips ( $1000/70 = $15) and sell each chip for say $20 ( $15 cost plus $5 profit ) giving them $1400 for the $1000 wafer and leaving 30% of the chips unused.

    They then take that 30% and use them as either triple or dual core (lets say it is split 50\50 on those with a single error and those with 2 errors in seperate cores to keep it simple again) - instead of throwing those 30 out they can now make 15 triple core chips and 15 dual core chips and sell them at lets say $15 for the triple and $10 for the dual core (3\4 and 1\2 the chip for the same % price)

    Doing it this way the then recoup another $375 in profit (cost was already covered by the quads !! so they make more $ by doing it this way.)

    But now lets say the demand for the triple core chip is higher than the 15 they are getting from each wafer and instead they need only 55 quads, 30 Triple and 15 duals per wafer, they can either pay several million to retool the assembly line and produce a run of triple core chips to fill the shortage or they can run extra wafers and disable some of the fully functional chips to meet that shortage --- in the above for instance they could still sell the 100 chips that cost $1000 for $1700 (55x$20, 30X$15, 15x$10) meaning still making a $700 profit but less than the ideal $775 profit if all were sold as is and not disabling some good cores using the example cost - which when you consider it is a much better option than paying to retool the line and run some extra triple core CPUs to fill demand,

    Of course this is much more simplified than reality but that is the main concept - since the wafer is going to produce the same number of chips whether they are making quads, triples or duals (they are all the same die size to fit in the same socket !) - so the cost is literally the same per chip but they can not sell all of those chips at the same price so will figure in the cost tiers based on the production outcomes and price each of the 3 using that info - and then as production improves and error rates decline they wind up with more high end and fewer errors but if demand is higher for the lower end they will disable functional cores to meet that demand instead of letting the sale go to their competitors or paying to retool a line to produce just lower end parts.
  16. If it was me I'd take a 550 on a gaming machine and shoot for the unlocked cores.

    Also, don't expect to get the cores unlocked, as you have been warned already. Yes some chips will unlock and work perfectly. Just remember the reason some of those are there is because they couldn't make it was quad cores and had to have a core or 2 disabled because of it. Those chips will either not work or be extremely unstable.

    Does it hurt to try? Absolutely not. You'd be silly not to enable those extra cores, maybe pop up the voltage a little bit and run it through prime95.

    Imagine a $100 Phenom II X4... mmm.
  17. If you do video encoding the 620 will benefit you more otherwise if you do gaming the 550 so it all comes down to what you do.
  18. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652&cm_re=720-_-19-103-652-_-Product
    Joking yeah the 55BE looks better if you ask me or just get the X3 720.
  19. Userremoved said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652&cm_re=720-_-19-103-652-_-Product
    Joking yeah the 55BE looks better if you ask me or just get the X3 720.

    Do you mean the 555BE?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846
  20. Userremoved said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652&cm_re=720-_-19-103-652-_-Product
    Joking yeah the 55BE looks better if you ask me or just get the X3 720.

    Only trouble with the X3 720 now is they only carry the OEM version so no AMD warranty on it (AMD leaves the warranty on OEM products to the reseller and Newegg only has the 30 or 60 day CPU return policy no extended warranty !!) - though for the $105 price it is almost worth taking a chance on !!
  21. JDFan said:
    Only trouble with the X3 720 now is they only carry the OEM version so no AMD warranty on it (AMD leaves the warranty on OEM products to the reseller and Newegg only has the 30 or 60 day CPU return policy no extended warranty !!) - though for the $105 price it is almost worth taking a chance on !!

    Yeah thats why i said i was joking but at that price still...
  22. I'd go for the X2 555 and try to unlock, more than half the people who try do get to unlock one or both cores successfully and even if they aren't stable, the CPU still does a great job in gaming, which will probably be the main purpose of your build. Most games and applications use only 1-3 threads and quad cores aren't utilized for almost all the things you do. As someone mentioned before, if you're planning on doing a lot video encoding/editing or number-crunching, the Athlon x4 would benefit you more.
  23. JDFAN dont reply like nuts...I kno cost is not $10... I have mentioned in my post..SAY.... I took mine for $87 X3 440..so read the comment neatly...properly in fact....... Well you guys have your own view..cant stop anybody in thinking the way he/she wants.

    Just like to say, Dont buy a processor by virtual thinking that " I will buy an amd dual core for $95 and den unlock it to Quad"......No way...

    remember " You get what you pay for"

    ATHLON X3 440 is a beast in gaming compared to dual core phenoms considered in that price range.. Either get X3 435 or 440, You wont need anything else...

    New games like battlefield bad company 2 running on high details with avg 60 frames, and just with a 9600gt(512mb)....

    save money n play hard....
  24. unlocked athlon x3 440 to phenom 2 x4 b40.......
  25. Chiragsthakur, did you by any chance ALSO unlock the L3 Cache?

    Someone else was able to get both the core and the L3 cache to unlock on an Athlon X3 435.
  26. Athlon X3 440 doesnt have L3 cache... thats why there is 0% possibility of unlocking l3 cache in athlon x3 440. athlon x3 435 had locked l3.... Athlon x3 440 i unlocked is perfectly stable with 4 cores running... i ran prime, everest for 24 hrs and the chip is fully stable. Both Athlon x3 440 and Athlon x3 435 are good chips. But Athlon x3 440 is 3ghz at stock. My athlon x3 440 is now phenom x4 b40 just with a $72 MSi 770T c45 motherboard.....
  27. chiragsthakur said:
    Athlon X3 440 doesnt have L3 cache... thats why there is 0% possibility of unlocking l3 cache in athlon x3 440. athlon x3 435 had locked l3.... Athlon x3 440 i unlocked is perfectly stable with 4 cores running... i ran prime, everest for 24 hrs and the chip is fully stable. Both Athlon x3 440 and Athlon x3 435 are good chips. But Athlon x3 440 is 3ghz at stock. My athlon x3 440 is now phenom x4 b40 just with a $72 MSi 770T c45 motherboard.....

    Some Athlon II have disabled L3 cache it's rare but you can find one.
  28. Userremoved said:
    Some Athlon II have disabled L3 cache it's rare but you can find one.

    I believe that was true with some of the initial chips (as they were not yet mass producing the Athlon II quads without L3 so some of the initial reelease chips had the L3 on the die but the newer chips are made mainly from the Athlon II quads that do not have any L3 on the chip so it is rare to find one that can have the L3 unlocked.
  29. Athlon x3 440 is based on propus core..it physically doesnt have a L3 cache.. Talking about Athlon x3 435 ..they come in two dies... One of propus which is indicated by "D" as the 3rd letter and one of Deneb which is indicated by "C" as the 3rd letter. SO better choose the right one.. But in India the shopkeepers offer maximum 2 box of processors. So we have to choose one even if they bear "D" as the third letter.
  30. Userremoved said:
    Some Athlon II have disabled L3 cache it's rare but you can find one.


    Userremoved.....Sounds funny.........sorry........but In my post its mentioned that athlon x3 440 is a propus based triple core desgn. So l3 cache wont be avilable...Athlon x3 435 has it many times.
  31. wow what a indepth converstation i started
    think im going witht eh ll x4 black editon at 3.2ghz
    newegg price is only 180. they have a decent mobo for only$60
    now i have to pick a heatsink

    but it would only make sense that there would be a defect in the other cores for them to sell it with two cores locked.
  32. Not necessarily, they might not even be defective.

    What mobo are you getting for $60??
  33. Best answer selected by costerritter.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Product