Sign in with
Your question

What graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2010 3:20:11 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm having a Core 2 duo E7500 2.93Ghz processor with Intel DG41TY motherboard with 2GB memory
I'm interested in games like GTA, racing games lie NFS and adventure games and in future I 'm planning to use animation softwares like Maya
kindly guide me in choosing the graphics card
can i chosse
XFX 9400GT 1GB Graphics card price – Rs.2,960
XFX 9500GT 1GB Graphics card price – Rs.3,650
or is it suficient to go in for 512 MB card itself?
also I'm having a Samsung 17 inches CRT monitor do i need LCD monitors to view in for effective graphic usage or is it sufficient that it will work in the same monitor
kindly help me out in this.

More about : graphic card

a c 144 U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 3:25:55 AM

to play something like GTA4 i think it is better to have at least GTS250. but if those two card is your only choice go with 9500GT. 512mb of memory should be enough since both 9400GT and 9500GT will slow in utilizing more memory than that. so having 1GB of memory on those cards is quite a waste. about your monitor i think it fine.
m
l
a c 1367 U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 3:26:51 AM

The 9500GT is the better card the card would work just fine with 512mb ram. If you can find for a reasonable price a 9600GT or HD4670 you would be getting a lot better card. Same monitor is fine.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 4:34:25 AM

What is ur maximum budget?where are u from?
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:54:22 AM

dude, if your planning on running maya in the future, either spend as much as you can possibly afford, or spend a little now, something to JUST get you by, and save up. Maya is a pretty GPU dependant program, and you don't wanna cheap out in that area. I was running a Geforce 275 GTX (~280$ CA), which was great for maya.

on top of which you may wanna consider upgrading your CPU. Maya will run fine with the parts you have listed, but you will notice a difference with an i5 or i7.

Rendering 3D objects and animating is a whole nothing story from playing games, and with the animation your probably gonna end up using some video editting software of somekind, like Adobe After Effects. having a good card will make the difference between getting *** done and getting a session in a chair staring at the spinning hourglass.

if you can afford to spend $300-$400 dollars or more, by all means, do it.

if it is a must that you get either of the stated cards, go with the 9500.
m
l
January 7, 2010 6:48:27 AM

jimmy2legs said:
dude, if your planning on running maya in the future, either spend as much as you can possibly afford, or spend a little now, something to JUST get you by, and save up. Maya is a pretty GPU dependant program, and you don't wanna cheap out in that area. I was running a Geforce 275 GTX (~280$ CA), which was great for maya.

on top of which you may wanna consider upgrading your CPU. Maya will run fine with the parts you have listed, but you will notice a difference with an i5 or i7.

Rendering 3D objects and animating is a whole nothing story from playing games, and with the animation your probably gonna end up using some video editting software of somekind, like Adobe After Effects. having a good card will make the difference between getting *** done and getting a session in a chair staring at the spinning hourglass.

if you can afford to spend $300-$400 dollars or more, by all means, do it.

if it is a must that you get either of the stated cards, go with the 9500.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but video editing and graphic design work is NOT gpu dependent. It is CPU dependent. In fact, any modern integrated graphics like a HD 4200 is more than enough for this kind of work. Any card that can play Blu ray and other high def video is all you need...all the work is done by the cpu and memory.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 7:20:08 AM

jimmy2legs said:
dude, if your planning on running maya in the future,

OP is female, i think!!! Dudette!!! :D 
And i think she is from India.

@OP: Well for your needs HD4670 is the way to go or a 9600GT. But these are getting old every day. Suggest getting a HD5xxx card. By the way which PSU? Please mention your full config with model name and ratings.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 9:00:55 AM

Mention full specs...
Don't go for a GDDR2 card.
Whats your budget?

HD 4670 is minimum recommended and it will be sufficient for a 17" monitor.
Its price is Rs4500 but depends where you buy from.
m
l
January 7, 2010 9:19:02 AM

funkydudete said:
Hi Guys,

I'm having a Core 2 duo E7500 2.93Ghz processor with Intel DG41TY motherboard with 2GB memory
I'm interested in games like GTA, racing games lie NFS and adventure games and in future I 'm planning to use animation softwares like Maya
kindly guide me in choosing the graphics card
can i chosse
XFX 9400GT 1GB Graphics card price – Rs.2,960
XFX 9500GT 1GB Graphics card price – Rs.3,650
or is it suficient to go in for 512 MB card itself?
also I'm having a Samsung 17 inches CRT monitor do i need LCD monitors to view in for effective graphic usage or is it sufficient that it will work in the same monitor
kindly help me out in this.

Hi...
ur system specs are quite similar to mine. plz check my thread titled "who's the best performer out of these?"
considering a 17" monitor a 512mb card wud b fine.i hv personally used 3ds MAX 9 on nvidia6100.thts onboard graphic chip.
specifically a HD 4670 512 mb will do just fine and is available for Rs 4200 to Rs 4500.
in my post though i hv asked for help considering games performing cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2010 11:28:56 PM

Funkydudete, do you have a preferred online retailer? We could look there for good deals. Many of these recommendations are price-dependent, and you will have some variation between card/availability.

I would consider boosting your ram for animation software too.

m
l
January 28, 2010 3:43:50 AM

amanjeet said:
Hi...
ur system specs are quite similar to mine. plz check my thread titled "who's the best performer out of these?"
considering a 17" monitor a 512mb card wud b fine.i hv personally used 3ds MAX 9 on nvidia6100.thts onboard graphic chip.
specifically a HD 4670 512 mb will do just fine and is available for Rs 4200 to Rs 4500.
in my post though i hv asked for help considering games performing cards.

Hi You mean ATI Radeon HD 4670 is it a NVIDIA product
is it available in chennai. Or where i can i get it? can you let me know pls
m
l
January 28, 2010 4:08:01 AM

Can you go tyhrough the website , in the graphic card section there are quite a few listed could you please tell which one is the best for my configuration I have 2 GB DDR2 ram
http://www.deltapage.com/
m
l
January 29, 2010 7:27:21 AM

funkydudete said:
Hi You mean ATI Radeon HD 4670 is it a NVIDIA product
is it available in chennai. Or where i can i get it? can you let me know pls

Yes i told about HD 4670 , it is not an Nvidia card. would be available for around 4500 for 512mb version to 4800 for 1gb version. i dont know if it's available in chennai. but there's a site called www.lynx-india.com

they are dealers based in chandigarh. they provide shipping throughoout india. shipping cost is 85 per kg. so getting a card shipped won't be any problem.

Nvidia's 9600GT is slightly costlier than HD 4670 will be around 5200 and 9800gt would be around 6200. and they both consume more power than HD 4670. for games you mentioned this would be fine and within budget. as 17" monitor's don't have resolutions beyong 1600x1200,actually they have less, so 1gb version won't make any difference.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 7:41:43 AM

I think the HD4670 is available now for 4000 INR or maybe lower, with the incoming of the HD5670!
m
l
!