Solved

>$350

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2010 1:44:27 PM

Or around $350 to $400, less even if possible.

Making a budget system for a relative who's running on a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 2400, I believe.

2.4 Ghz Single Core Celeron, 256 MB of RAM, 80 GB HDD, Intel Integrated Graphics... Yeah, won't be hard to upgrade.

I'm looking for good basic performance, I've got an ATI Radeon 4550 to toss in so integrated graphics or whatever aren't a worry.

While I'm an AMD fan myself, since it's not mine I could go Intel for this. I'm looking for some decent future-proofing as well, my initial build has an AMD Athlon II X2 240, 2 GB of RAM, 320 GB of HDD, DVD/CD Burner, etc...

Unfortunately this is a build from ground up, so it requires a case/PSU as well, most preferably in MicroATX tower instead of ATX (Yes, looking for a MicroATX motherboard as well).

In keeping with trying to have a low price as possible, I was also looking at the Sempron 140. Not sure if upgrading to, albeit a faster single-core, but still another single-core, would offer that much.

Anyway, was hoping to get some input from third-parties, see what the community has to say. Thanks in advance! A low budget makes it fun to balance for performance.

Oh, and if possible with a given motherboard/CPU combo, I'm not against the idea over overclocking either, though OCing under a stock fan always makes me edgy, and upgrading the CPU fan is, of course, more money.

More about : 350

January 12, 2010 2:14:06 PM

What's the usage?
m
l

Best solution

January 12, 2010 2:28:14 PM

Wow, this was definitely pretty tough, but I think I have something here:

CPU: Athlon II x2 240

Mobo: ASUS M4A78LT-M LE (Do you know how hard it is to find a cheap microATX mobo with no integrated graphics!? :p )

PSU: OCZ MODXSTREAM Pro 500W

HDD: Samsung F3 Spinpoint 500GB

Case: Rosewill R102-P-BK

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB

OD: LG DVD Burner

In total this comes to $341.93, before taxes, shipping, or MIRs. I really hope you don't need an OS in your budget, 'cause that could easily break you :p .
Related resources
January 12, 2010 5:22:34 PM

@p55ibexpeak - General day-to-day use, Web Browsing, flash games, some little games but nothing intensive, I don't think any are even 3D, chat, skype, and some photo editing.

@Mavanhel - Funny, except for the hard drive and power supply, everything else is the same as in my build! Nope, no OS needed, being a computer science student has its advantages sometimes. And I didn't mean the motherboard doesn't -have- to have integrated graphics, just it doesn't need to. =P

What's slightly annoying is that except for just having 2 GB of RAM, the computer I'm building for this person (out of my own pocket, 'cause I'm a nice guy) is better than my current one. Though, I'm saving up to get something actually good. Heh.
m
l
January 12, 2010 5:33:18 PM

Ya, I'm actually surprised as to how well this build turned out. As for you computer, save up $800-1000 and you could get something that would make him/her drool :p . But good luck on the build and have fun.
m
l
January 13, 2010 4:06:54 PM

Haha, interestingly enough that exactly the budget I'm aiming for. Will take a while, sadly.

Just out of curiosity though, what do you think would be your take on a Sempron 140? As is, never mind the possibility of unlocking the extra core and overclocking, since that's never certain.

I'd imagine not really worth it to go single-core, but would like someone else's opinion.
m
l
January 13, 2010 4:23:43 PM

I would absolutely not build on a single core anymore. I'm almost at the point where (assuming it's not an extreme budget build like this one), I don't recommend dual cores. There's just so much running in the background now that a single core gets bogged down really easily.
m
l
January 13, 2010 4:33:45 PM

Ah, alright. That's what I figured.

And heh, sorry, hadn't noticed the New Build Advice guidelines. Many apologies, now I know.
m
l
January 13, 2010 4:36:29 PM

You basically gave all the info it says you should give, and that's all that really matters.
m
l
January 19, 2010 10:56:18 PM

Best answer selected by Kelavarus.
m
l