Sign in with
Your question

XPS 730 Setup Questions

Last response: in Overclocking
August 17, 2012 1:42:28 AM

Hello everyone. I've noticed when I've Google'd questions about my system I constantly see replies from this forum so I'm hoping the genesius here can help me with my computer setup. I know a bit about computers and how they operate as well as setup but when it comes down to system settings I'm all but lost. Also, I'm not sure exactly what it means when I power on my system from a full no power plug in it tells me that the system settings have been reset, should I have to do anything when it tells me this?

I'd like to have my system set up for optimal performance. I've never overclocked anything. I've always had the attitude that if I can I'll just buy the best so I don't have to worry about lessening the lifespan of my components. But seeing as my system is getting on in years I'd like to see how much more I can get from it without totally burning it out of course. Hoping with the XPS 730's fans that it will keep my system cool while having my system running a little bit faster.

So I'm asking if I post what I have installed under the hood and persons familiar with the XPS BIOS if they can tell me how I should have everything set for optimal performance. All items are updated to latest patches available and I always install my nVidia's newest beta drivers for my cards.

::MY SYSTEM::
Windows 7 Home Premium X64
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650
(12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

XPS 730 (not Liquid Cooled) Latest BIOS installed

nVidia 790i Ultra Motherboard.

(2) EVGA GTX 470 Video Cards set in SLI

(2)Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PX7312G1600LLK
I have the 3rd RAM stick but this motherboard only recognizes a max of 8GB of RAM (as I've read) I also have other RAM,
same speed just not as much GB. Should I install it anyway? Can it be used regardless that system doesn't recognize it?

500GB SATA II 7200

In my BIOS I didn't overclock the processor (not even the .5 that's available in the BIOS).

So again, I hope I've given enough information and anything else needed I'm more then happy to list. If someone can give me some advice how to correctly set up my BIOS and Memory as well as any moderate overclocking I can do (within some kinda safety in mind) I would GREATLY appreciate it. I've noticed with the newer generation of games I'm not getting the kind of FPS that I used to and when I ran 3dMark Vantage It's told me I'm not operating at optimal capacity so I know I'm not getting what I should out of my system.

a c 138 K Overclocking
August 17, 2012 3:04:47 AM

Getting a prebuilt computer from Dell is not what you want to do if you want to overclock because they lock the bios down so that you can't mess with thier computer and make them look bad. They can do this because they order thier components directly from the manufacturer and they get special models that you don't see in the stores so they have complete control over the bios and the settings in it. I had a Dell once and I wanted to format the hard drive and it took a call to thier tech support and a 2 1/2 hour phone call to get this done.
So unless you can make changes in the bios you won't be able to overclock.
m
l
August 17, 2012 5:22:27 AM

You can. XPS was the first Dell PC they sold where they gave you complete control of the BIOS and voltage/settings on everything inside. I watched a youtube video about an hour ago on it

Link here-->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctI3YZHbWX0
The guy mentions it there.

This other video I watched mentioned playing with the BIOS settings and vaguley explains some of the things you can do but doesn't really explain WHAT to do.

Link here-->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VUe9DujRUc
It's cool that Dell finally opened the doors to allow people to configure their systems the way they want to and knew with buying Alienware that they kinda had to on their high end gaming systems.

I've managed to change my CPU multiplier to 10X's from the factory 9X's to give a little bit extra power and disabled/enabled a few features that this article mentions to do to get more performance out of your system.

Link here--->http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

The article mentions two different configurations from using Cosair RAM and then "other." What I don't know is what I'd want to set my RAM power/voltage/speed settings to. I know it can be pretty bad if you over do it and being novice on this level of computer knowledge I was hoping there was someone out there that either owned an XPS 730 or had somewhat extensive knowledge on settings. But perhaps knowing the optimal settings for RAM isn't XPS specific.

I've mentioned what RAM, Patriot Viper Xtreme, I have in my first post. Does anyone have any advice with seeing what kind of system I have on what I should set them for?
m
l
!