majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hello,

I didn't know exactly where to post this but I have a problem and I think it involves the CPU.

My specs are:
PSU: FSP 500W
CPU: C2D e6300
GFX: MSI 7300GS
MOBO: MSI P965 Neo
RAM: 2x512 Kingston DDR2
HDD: 1x60gb IDE 1x250gb SATAII

Basically the computer was working the night before. I opened it up this morning and I see no display on the screen. The monitor is on stand by mode even though the pc is on. I thought at first it was the monitor but then I connected it to my laptop and it worked and I checked the cable and it was all fine.

I've just done an isolation test where I took out all the parts and put them back in 1 by 1 to see if it would make a difference.

Usually when I start up the pc it turns off instantly when I press the power button, but when I take the CPU out I have to hold the button for 5 seconds. I'm mentioning this because I don't know if it could help or not. When my PC functions as it is supposed to, I can only turn the PC off instantly at the boot screens when I press the power button. When it comes to the Windows XP loading screen you can't just turn it off unless you hold the power for 5 seconds.

Now I'm stuck on what to do. If the computer was shutting down after a couple of seconds I'd say it is the PSU. Or can the PSU still affect the display not showing anything?

I'm really out of ideas because I'm stuck with the CPU, the Motherboard, or the PSU.

Can anyone help?

CPU's simply do not just go bad. It doesn't happen.
Motherboards can though. Look at the capacitors on the board. Do any of them appear swollen, or bulging, or even broken open and leaking?
If they all look perfectly fine, I would try another graphic card first.
Or try your card in another system. If that checks out, it may well be the PSU.
And yes, a PSU can fail. Just because you hear fans running and drives spinning, does not mean that the PC is actually doing anything. The rail that powers the CPU side of the motherboard could have gone bad in the PSU. I have seen this happen before.

PS, nothing will work without the CPU. Taking it out and trying to boot will get you nowhere and you cannot draw any conclusions from doing that.

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Yeh I know the specs are not that good. I do game every now and then but they're mainly cpu intensive rather than gpu intensive.

I'll try and get a new PSU in a couple of days and then get back to you all.

Thanks a lot so far!

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
That's nice to hear. Which cpu cooler did you use? Also if you don't mind could you tell me what you put for the multiplier in the BIOS etc :3. Sorry for going off-topic.

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Ah yeh I forgot you can't change multiplier xD

Anyway, I went and bought a 750W Power Supply from Thermaltake and I still have the same problem. Now the question is, even if my graphics card wasn't working properly, wouldn't windows still load up in the background? My settings are set to NOT shut down when power button is pressed. The thing is when I press the power button to start up it seems as if windows doesn't even load up because I can wait however long I want and pressing the power button will instantly shut the pc down. That's why I'm having doubts on the graphics card.

If it was the ram or the graphics card, wouldn't I be getting beeps? If so, then I think the only thing remaining is the motherboard.

Any ideas?

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I went through that list. Everything is done correctly except I can't test for beeps. I thought I had an inbuilt one and it seems as though I don't. I think I'll go out and buy one and see if I do get any beeps.