Problem with cables

ruffandruff

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hello all.....I want to know how many sata cables do i get with p7p55d e premium and asus max formula iii.

I wanted to because i have more than 4 hard drives.

In my p4 system there are only 2 sata cables and 2 sata power cable converters so i had to adjust with 2 hard drives but now i am planing to buy a ne system with i7 875k.

what are those sata power cables called and can i get sata power converters b,coz in my p4 system there are ide power cables. i had made it assembles by a store. I dont how they cpnverter ide power calbes in to sata.

1.I want to know those cables names..
2.sata power cables and sata data cables..their priceing...
3.how should i ask in a store for them?
4.can i buy them online? If So please give the site address.
5.I dont have enough power connectors from the psu can i extend them? If so what are those extenders called.

detailed expaination really helps me a lot...coz i am new to computers.

Thanks!!

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
1. SATA cables are SATA cables, just like that...
2. SATA HDD receives power from the PSU, so count the SATA power connectors in your PSU.
3. For the converter, ask for an IDE to SATA converter, it usually can be reversed, from SATA to IDE. Note that I don't recommend using the converter, since if it fails, your HDD won't work (duh! of course it is! :D)
4. I don't know. But computer components are quite common, you should try and look for it in the local computer stores.

What exactly is your HDD type, an IDE or SATA?

ruffandruff

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

its is a sata hdd and the power connectors are ide. I dont even have enough power connectors from the psu.....i need 2 more.. can i extend them

Ide is the interface for data on older hard drives, not a power connector type, you possibly mean Molex (Big white 4pin block)
This will take you from a Molex off your psu to two sata connectors, run two hdd's off one Molex line,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119010
and a selection of sata data cables for you as well
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010001%20117752937&name=SATA%20%2f%20eSATA?cm_sp=cablessubcat001-_-flashstorefront-_-sataesata
I hope this helps some,
Moto

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

I think that's definitely the thing he needs. Cheers! :D

(I just found out that there's a 4-pin molex to SATA power converter... :p )

ruffandruff

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

Thank you so much. You helped me a lot.

Can You tell the names of the cables in the computer. coz i dont know for instance i have named molex cable as a sata power cables. i just learned from you that the 4 pin cables is called molex cable.

OR please link me to a site where I can get all the information about this stuff

Ok,
most psu's have a selection of,(not all have each ones though)

20+4 pin this is your main socket on your Mobo All psu's will have this

4/8pin cpu this one plugs into a socket near your cpu, some are 4pin, some are 8pin

4/6/8pin pcie these are for graphics cards mostly

Sata power, as suggested, power for sata devices

Molex, those white 4pin blocks we all love :) can power fans,lighting optical drives, hard drives, and with adaptors available, can be made into extra lines for other requirements, sata pcie etc,
some also have a tiny white 4pin block Im not sure what they are for though, new psu's dont seem to have them anymore so maybe old tech.
thats the power cables taken care of :)

you also have data cables in there, so the drives can provide the Mobo with information, your hard drives use Sata I assume so you have a sata for each drive to a socket on the Mobo
you may also have sata optical drives, cd,dvd etc, same deal, one per device to a socket or more usually, they are Ide, which is normally a wide grey ribbon, two connectors at one end, one at the other, the single connector goes in your Mobo socket, and the end with two conns can connect to two seperate drives
E-Sata is a new thing thats not yet mainstream so not to worry about, but it does the data and power in one cable, youll need an E-Sata compliant motherboard to utilise that though
A good idea for your information may be to go on newegg or ebuyer and locate the cables section, see the different types of each cable, there are loads lol
Glad to have been some help man,
Moto