zlangowski

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Hello and happy new year!

So I have a gigabyte GA-x58A-UD3R and I have being toying with the idea of stepping up to the SSD realm. However I have read many issues people have using the marvel controller on this board. I know this board was advertised as a sata 3.0 board but from what I have read your best off using the intel ports on this board which are only sata 2.0 speeds(as I understand it). I am primarily a gamer and I am looking for gains in ToR loading levels etc.

-More or less wondering if other people have tackled this problem with this board?(advice please!)

-what issues can I run into slaving my WD caviar black to an SSD.

-Opinion on crucial M4 128gig vs OCZ vertex 3 120gig.

-Lastly what gains am I going to see over my old 7200 disk drive going to a sata 2.0 drive. (Is it worth it?)

Thanks again!

Slaving was an IDE thing....doesn't apply to SATA.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/buy-ssd-recommendation-value,3088-6.html

M4 is Tier 5
Vertex 3 is Tier 6

These are Tier 3

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120 GB, Patriot WildFire 120 GB, Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB

Last I looked, the Mushkin was the cheapest

As for what ya gain......I out the Vertex 3 Max IOPS in in a BIOS dual boot scenario w/ the Seagate Barracuda XT

HD Boots Win 7-64 Pro in 21.2 seconds
SSD Boots Win 7-64 Pro in 15.6 seconds

zlangowski

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Ok so if I am understanding this correctly I will install win7 64 on on the ssd, then just plug the 7200 WD into the mobo and it will recognize it....no need to slave or w/e?

Thanks for the prompt responses!