Windows "alt-tabbing" itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumtape

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Not really alt-tab, but kind of the same effect. For example if I'm using an internet browser if would make it so the browser isn't the main tab or window up even though it still shows on screen. If I'm playing a game it would minimize it and go to the desktop. Sort of like alt-tabbing but it doesn't select the next open program or window. Right now as I'm typing this the little blinking line for typing would go away by itself and this browser would end up no selected anymore.

I'm not sure if this is making any sense. It just started happening this afternoon.

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi Gumtape, not certain but the behavior of your pc sounds like you have some kind of malware or virus infection. Don't know what, but i can remember from many years ago something similar happening to me.

Obviously, do a full system scan with your virus scanner ( you may need to go into settings/options and select scan all files ) then do a spyware/malware scan. Make sure you are not connected to internet after updating the virus and spyware definitions.

Not sure what else to suggest, some of these relatively benign virus,'s/malware don't do much more than make your computing experience a nightmare, but you may have to do a clean install to completely remove the infection.

After you have completed the scans, on all drives!, backup your critical data, just in case you do have to do a fresh install of the operating system.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

Gumtape

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks guys, I saw the utility program for my wireless adapter making a duplicate of the network I was connected to, but with a different name. Since I just installed that utility program before this problem started happening, I decided to uninstall it and delete the duplicate network. The problem has gone away, but I'm scanning my system now just incase it was something else.

duff1369

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

I just been having the same problem and i done what was above and it fixed mine too thanks heaps

vee3man

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hi, I've been having a similar problem, with a program constantly interrupting me, though the difference is, I do not know which program. I have managed to capture a screenshot of the program icon when it flashed and I'm hoping someone here can help.

This is the icon, just miliseconds before fading away. I literally stared at the screen with my finger on PrtSc for 10 mins to get this.
Alttabicon_zpsf46e95e0.png

vee3man

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I managed to fix my problem. The program was the 'Interactive services detection' going off, but it happened so fast (literally, less than half a second), I wasn't able to figure out what it was, let alone read it on my task manager. So I used a video recorder to record the event, and found the solution here.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2011/03/14/troubleshooting-interactive-services-detection.aspx?

Status
Not open for further replies.