Sign in with
Your question

Any tips for flushing system

Last response: in Overclocking
August 17, 2012 8:35:45 AM

I want to clean out my water cooling and add new coolant. I haven't done this before and don't really know what I should be doing.
I have this XSPC DDC Bay - Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir. One does the dual graphics cards the other the processor.
My questions are: Can I just unscrew the reservoir and move it forwrd and tip out the coolant?
: I was told I can clean through with warm water, is this okay to use?
: If when I turn the PC on the water/coolant hasn't yet reached the processor/graphics card will this damage them?

I have a couple of bottles of Feser coolant at the ready. Any other advice greatly appeciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

More about : tips flushing system

August 17, 2012 9:54:31 AM

fergie said:
I want to clean out my water cooling and add new coolant. I haven't done this before and don't really know what I should be doing.
I have this XSPC DDC Bay - Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir. One does the dual graphics cards the other the processor.
My questions are: Can I just unscrew the reservoir and move it forwrd and tip out the coolant?
: I was told I can clean through with warm water, is this okay to use?
: If when I turn the PC on the water/coolant hasn't yet reached the processor/graphics card will this damage them?

I have a couple of bottles of Feser coolant at the ready. Any other advice greatly appeciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

you might find this video helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzxh9-aavQQ

i dont recommend feser coolant at all..many people had problems with it previously,....i recommend distilled water+killcoils/ptnukes...
yes,if you turn on your pc until the coolant has reached the parts that you are cooling,it may damage them...you can definitely flush watercooling hardware with warm water...have you not set up any draining system before setting up the loop?

edit:by turning on pc do you mean starting the pc for leak testing?if so than obviously you have to turn on your pc by jump starting to leak test...
August 17, 2012 10:49:04 AM

Thanks. no there isn't a draining system. Do I just disconnect the lowest point on the loop and let in drain out?
Someoe has suggested ionised water to clean it out as its a different colout coolant. Can someone confirm this is a sencible thing to do.
Related resources
August 17, 2012 1:21:28 PM

fergie said:
Thanks. no there isn't a draining system. Do I just disconnect the lowest point on the loop and let in drain out?
Someoe has suggested ionised water to clean it out as its a different colout coolant. Can someone confirm this is a sencible thing to do.

you have to suck the wind on one end or use a low powered suction pump and by doing this the coolant will flow out on the other end....ionised water is the opposite of distilled water...i dont know if its good for cleaning or not..:/
a b K Overclocking
August 17, 2012 3:56:55 PM

This is how I clean my systems I will use the two line fill/flush system to fill and clean the system I never break my loop after assemble all I need do is remove the fill and drain lines from the system when finished
First I like Listerine for a cleaner it does a really good job I will fill the system with a 50% Listerine 50% distilled water and let it run for a couple hours then I will flush the system and fill the system with coolant and I am good to go for another 6 months

this kind of seup can be added to the loop anywhere and it will work, the best place is right before the pumps inlet
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 17, 2012 7:33:39 PM

Quote:
I have a couple of bottles of Feser coolant at the ready. Any other advice greatly appeciated.

My advice would be trash them or return them to get your money back. Feser coolants are some of the worst offenders when it comes to breaking down in people's loops under high, sustained loads.

Just run distilled water...it's cheap and doesn't mess up your expensive gear.
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 19, 2012 9:25:27 AM

This highlights the benefits of designing your loop properly at the start,
you should have allowed for a flushing method right from the getgo but as you neglected to do so, this time its going to be fun :) 
Secure or remove ANYTHING that may move, drives, lighting etc,
then either loosen the res cap and til it over the sink, or cut the lowest point on the loop to drain into the sink, <this method will allow you to insert a T-line for next time<
** I was told I can clean through with warm water, is this okay to use**
I hope they told you to wash it through with warm water, but also to rinse and flush it afterwards with plain distilled, tapwater is not loop friendly
and as Rubix said, ditch the fester coolant, if you want coloured lines, buy coloured tubing
*If when I turn the PC on the water/coolant hasn't yet reached the processor/graphics card will this damage them*
If you fill/bleed the loop properly this won't be an issue
Moto
!