chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
All my parts are here and I'm ready to begin assembly. Static electricity is REALLY bad right now. Around the house, pretty much everything I touch results in a nice little spark. I'm scared to death of destroying components.

What is the proper way to use an esd strap? I know it has to be grounded. I was considering getting a three pronged extension cord, cutting the end off, plugging it in and attaching to the ground wire. Obviously I would have to be careful of the other two wires. I think this is a bad idea.

Do I just attach the power supply to the case, plug it in but leave the power off, and attach the strap to the case? How do I know if I have a good ground?

Anything I should look for in the esd strap? Was considering this one:
bestbuy.com

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
First off, I think your link might be broken. As for the esd, last time I used one it attached to my shoe, although I forget how...but I have never used one while building a computer. Some good precautions.

Don't wear wool.

Wear shoes with a rubber sole.

Build the computer on a non conductive table, with no carpet nearby (wooden table in the tiled floor kitchen always works well).

Like you said, plug in the PSU but don't turn it on, then touch the psu every time before you touch a component so as to discharge yourself. (Perhaps you can attach the esd to the psu?)

Use the anti-static bag the that the parts come in. I normally put the bag on top of the motherboard box, and then the motherboard on top of the bag, just to make sure that there's no static electricity trying to attack it.

As for the esd, like I said, I haven't used on it awhile, but I'm sure you could easily connect it to the PSU. I think it might be easier to leave the psu outside of the case while you fill up the motherboard and put it in the case, just to make things a little more organized. Once you're done filling up the case with everything other than the psu, you can put in the psu and you basically won't have to touch the motherboard again (other than plugging in power connectors, but even then you don't have to actually touch the mobo). Good luck and be safe. Hope everything works out well for you.

I am one of those nutty people that builds PCs sitting on my carpet floor with no anti-static device at all. I think the key reason I have yet to destroy a component is that I always have one forearm hanging on the case as I am installing. My advice is to stay in constant contact with the case and that alone seems to be enough to keep static from building up, even on carpet.

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I actually built my last two pc's on my bed as there was no space anywhere else. Havent had a problem with static electricity in bed yet lol. cant say i have ever been shocked while sleeping either.